UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2018, 3:16 pm   #61
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: ViewMaster TV restoration.

"Reassembly of the ViewMaster timebase chassis will commence when the new paint is thoroughly dry and hard."

Reassembly of the ViewMaster timebase chassis started last week.
The mains transformer, valveholders and HT rectifier now in place.
The CRT rear support has been painted and refitted.
The timebase rebuild is the easy part of the restoration but the receiver section might not be so easy. However, if you think about it someone sixty-eight years ago assembled the set so it shouldn't be all that difficult to disassemble it and rebuild it in the same manner as it was done way back then.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0194.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	161655  
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 7:49 pm   #62
beery
Heptode

That's starting to look very smart
Old 25th Apr 2018, 2:53 pm   #63
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Reassembly of the timebase chassis continues.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0197.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	161774  
Old 25th Apr 2018, 3:28 pm   #64
Jac
Heptode

This is most likely true for FERNSEH:

"All components stocked here for the 'View Master'

Jac
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CK5 2011-11-24.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	161789  
Old 25th Apr 2018, 6:41 pm   #65
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Good job done David !
Old 25th Apr 2018, 8:04 pm   #66
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Good evening Gentlemen,
The line output transformer is now in place, this component was subjected to the drying out method in which a current of about 20mA is allowed to pass though the EHT winding and primary.
All the wound components in this set were made by the Whitely Electrical Company under the trade name W.E.M.Co. It's the firm that made the famous Stentorian loudspeakers.
The ViewMaster under discussion employs a selenium EHT rectifier although the line output transformer has a filament winding for an EY51 valve.
The first attachment shows the line output transformer and pages from the assembly instructions.

DFWB.
DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0202.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	161815   Click image for larger version

Name:	VM1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	161816   Click image for larger version

Name:	VM2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	161817   Click image for larger version

Name:	VM3.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	161818  
Old 26th Apr 2018, 9:22 am   #67
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Can't beat connecting thing up with wire

Peter
Old 28th Apr 2018, 11:04 am   #68
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Very rusty ViewMaster TV

The repainted metal RF chassis carrier has been attached to the timebase chassis.
The RF chassis is not a pretty sight, looks like I'll have to disassemble it and paint the metal surfaces. Can't allow that horrible looking thing to be attached to the smart looking TB chassis.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0213.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	161927   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0214.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	161928  
Old 28th Apr 2018, 11:54 am   #69
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

That's looking really good David.

Cheers
Old 28th Apr 2018, 12:02 pm   #70
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Lee,
The reconstruction of the timebase chassis was fairly easy but I reckon the disassembly and reassembly of the RF deck won't be as easy.
I'll assess the job later today.

DFWB.
Old 28th Apr 2018, 6:42 pm   #71
line sync
Heptode

You're doing a great job david .
I love the attention to detail like using the old style brass screws.

Robin
Old 28th Apr 2018, 11:39 pm   #72
radiograham
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
The chassis metalwork looks really awful, but in fact it's only surface rust, it's quite solid. I'll have to be very careful with the clean up of the RF chassis, it's not an easy unit to work on. The timebase chassis however can be completely dismantled, the metalwork de-rusted then followed by reassembly.
It is possible to detach the RF unit from the timebase chassis, this will help to make the job easier.
Just out of interest has anyone tried electrolysis to derust this type of chassis? Although I think this is only possible on steel, this is probably aluminium.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 1:40 am   #73
Argus25
No Longer a Member

There was an excellent article by Dr David Maddison, Silicon Chip October 2014.

If you search "How To Remove Rust By Electrolysis Silicon chip Online October 2014". You will get to see the introductory page. The method DIY at home works brilliantly. You would have to subscribe to get the whole article.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 8:26 am   #74
julie_m
Dekatron

I'd guess you'd want a dilute acid as the electrolyte, and the rusty steel as the negative electrode. Then you might hopefully cast a few O-- ions loose from the Fe2O3, where they would head for the positive electrode. If this was made of graphite, it wouldn't put anything but H+ into the solution, so nothing would plate onto the chassis.

But it's the best part of 30 years since I studied chemistry .....
Old 29th Apr 2018, 9:01 am   #75
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Julie,

I think most of the types of solution used for electrolytic de-rusting are basic, not acidic. Probably the notion that acidic solutions were useful for removing rust came about when somebody suggested that the phosphoric acid in CocaCola was good for removing rust. Though in the absence of a power supply there might be something to it. I haven't got the silicon chip article at hand, but the common way uses a battery charger and a weak alkaline solution, like washing soda or dilute sodium hydroxide or baking soda which I think is popular.

In any case some items cannot be treated this way, for example rusted transformer laminations and housings, valve shields that are a composite of aluminium and steel and other parts that cannot be dunked into a solution.

For these types of parts I have found the better method is to clean off all the surface rust with 600 to 2000 grade paper. Then treat the surface with an organic rust converter to deactivate the rust in the pitted metal. The popular organic rust converter in AU is a product called Fertan. It converts the rust to an organic compound which turns it blue in color. Once it is treated it is ok to paint the surface without the worry that the rust will break through the surface, as it always will, if not treated.

The important thing with restorations is to make sure all of the rust from every component/part is either removed or deactivated. Because it is true that "rust never sleeps" and progressively destroys steel. But if it is successfully removed and/or deactivated it solves the problem. Of course it can be quite a challenge when presented with a grossly rusted chassis. Even if the gross rust is removed (without major disassembly) then Fertan can be painted onto the remaining rust with a small brush, it makes a world of difference in preserving the set. Though in many cases you will see silver paint applied over rusted parts and no rust converter applied, with the "out of sight out of mind" approach to the problem.

Last edited by Argus25; 29th Apr 2018 at 9:08 am.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 9:17 am   #76
peter_scott
Dekatron

I think that Fertan is sold here as Jenolite or possibly Kurust. Jenolite is a milky fluid that turns rusted metal dark blue. When cars used to rust I can't say I ever found it very effective at preventing recurrence.

Peter
Old 29th Apr 2018, 11:21 am   #77
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Must be a different compound. Fertan is a clear brown liquid.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 8:07 pm   #78
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Rust is the devils work David. As you have gone to so much trouble with the main chassis I would be tempted to strip the RF chassis down and clean it up/repaint before rebuilding.

I would imagine the application of acid based compounds can lead to green spot. Fortunately it is relatively a simple layout. Regards, John.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 9:01 pm   #79
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
I think most of the types of solution used for electrolytic de-rusting are basic, not acidic. Probably the notion that acidic solutions were useful for removing rust came about when somebody suggested that the phosphoric acid in CocaCola was good for removing rust. Though in the absence of a power supply there might be something to it. I haven't got the silicon chip article at hand, but the common way uses a battery charger and a weak alkaline solution, like washing soda or dilute sodium hydroxide or baking soda which I think is popular.
Ah, yes, I did briefly also wonder about the other end of the pH scale. I was thinking acid because it would tend to attack the rust by itself;
Fe2O3 + 6HCl → 2FeCl3 + 3H2O.
But maybe that's not exactly what you want, because the acid can also react with the un-oxidised metal too?
2Fe + 6HCl → 2FeCl3 + 3H2.
The Fe-O bond is unlikely to be covalent; oxygen wants all the electrons to itself, and metals tend to treat electrons like toddlers treat shoes. If it's not ionic, it's polarised enough to ionise at the drop of a hat. At any rate, none of that's particularly interesting to Na+ or OH- ions. But when you start pushing some fast-moving electrons in from elsewhere, and insert an oppositely-charged electrode, there are going to be some O-- ions heading for it. So the current isn't merely helping the reaction, it's the only thing keeping it going -- the electrolyte leaves the un-energised workpiece alone. And even NaHCO3 will end up as NaOH after bubbling off some carbon dioxide .....

Is that more like how it works?
Old 30th Apr 2018, 12:45 am   #80
radiograham
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
There was an excellent article by Dr David Maddison, Silicon Chip October 2014.

If you search "How To Remove Rust By Electrolysis Silicon chip Online October 2014". You will get to see the introductory page. The method DIY at home works brilliantly. You would have to subscribe to get the whole article.
I Agree It does work very well at home I have used it with good results,Of course this means a complete removal of all components and the subsequent rebuild.
Closed Thread