UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2018, 9:54 pm   #21
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 50IC36 No FM

If the local osc is working you could still get beats but you will be able to tell with the frequency in use.

If you have a SG you could also feed a 10.7Mhz signal into the IF strip to check if that is working, it’s another test.

I will feel bad if after this it is the IC but I always think testing is better than just guessing.
Old 23rd May 2018, 2:01 pm   #22
davidgem1406
Heptode

Hello all,

Thanks to all for your input and help. The problem is solved.
It was to do with the supply for the Varicap tuning. The circuit board is a small board separate too the main PCB.

I lifted the board so that I could get access to measure the voltages on the voltage converter circuit, TC428.
As I lifted the board the FM came to life, just for a moment. As I turned the board over a wire just fell away. This was the wire that goes from the adjustment pot R686 to feed the +4V to the tuning circuitry.
it could never have been making a good connection and must have been a very dry connection for a long time. It was soldered back and all FM channels were working.

Once again, thanks to all.
Regards Dave.

P.S. Frank, no need to feel bad, it wasn't.
Old 23rd May 2018, 2:05 pm   #23
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Excellent news, well done.
Old 23rd May 2018, 2:51 pm   #24
Nuvistor
Dekatron

If it’s not all boxed up it would be interesting and educational to see what your scope shows on the tests you did earlier.