UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2018, 6:45 pm   #1
monaro0162
Pentode

Default Tandberg Huldra 8-55

Picked up this lovely Tandberg receiver at the Dunstable Downs boot sale. All my hifi restoration projects so far have been transistor based, and for a while now I've wanted something with valves to play with, so I couldn't resist it. Inside it's all complete, and looks to be in good condition, it seems to be transistor AND valve based. A problem that I've noticed is that he tuner needles seem to be out of sync - I can only get about the first two thirds of the travel across the LW/MW bands, and only the last third of travel on the FM needle, it looks like has been "re-stringed" in the past, but still needs adjusting somehow.

I haven't powered it up yet, for fear of something blowing on a piece of equipment that probably hasn't been powered up for years, so I'll probably power it up via a bulb in series, to limit any inrush current (I don't have a variac)

Has anybody worked on one of these, and if so, any tips on servicing it? I'm looking forward to getting this running and experiencing the valve 'sound'. And any tips on making an AM antenna? Be good to listen to Radio Caroline
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6260.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	163298   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6263.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	163299   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6264.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	163300  
Old 21st May 2018, 7:00 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Tandberg Huldra 8-55

What a nice looking set! No doubt it will have a high build quality if the Tandberg stuff i have seen in the past is anything to go by.

There is some information on this model at radiomuseum as well as the service data.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/tandberg_huldra_8.html

Last edited by ukcol; 21st May 2018 at 7:00 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 25th May 2018, 9:27 pm   #3
monaro0162
Pentode

Colin thanks for the link. I've managed to download a circuit diagram, but so far have been unable to find the user or service instructions in English. Some of the rotary controls on the front panel seem odd (to me!) I haven't quite worked out what they all do yet.

I had assumed that the Huldra used valves for the amp, but the valves are in the tuner, and the amp is transistor driven. I've powered it up for a few hours via a bulb, nothing went bang, and there is life there as I can hear hiss/hum and crackle through the speaker output when I use the volume and selector switches. Only one channel seems to be working though. I can't hear anything from the tuner, but that is probably due to a failed valve - inside one of them there is visible arcing and crackle in the audio circuit as it warms up. Would it be ok to power the unit up - minus the valves in the tuner - so that I could try running some audio through the transistor amp?

I also need to find out the pin out on the din connector as my unit doesn't have the phono connectors that I've seen on some sets.

What a lovely looking thing it is, quite different to my other audio equipment, which is mostly 1970's. The city and country station names look great backlit through the glass.
Old 25th May 2018, 10:18 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

There isn't 'a' Huldra, there is a whole series of them spread over many years. The early types were all valve and they progressed through to all transistor types. They were all very well made and worked well. There's been a lot of good equipment bearing that silhouette of the lass with the cow's tail. If Norwegian folklore is to be believed, you wouldn't want to meet her.

David