UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 25th Sep 2008, 8:59 pm   #361
Electrical
Hexode

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

Hi
My apprentice prize AVO is a Model 8 MK III No. 68399. 1067 and I have a Universal AVO Minor Mod. 1 No.U.114749-951, ex army.
Regards
Stan.
Electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2008, 9:58 am   #362
Pamphonica
Nonode

I recently acquired a nice old wooden-cased AVO. Rather battered but basically workable.
By mistake I posted details in another post instead of here

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=32768.

The serial number is 144187.
I can't post the same photos twice it seems so please can someone have a look at the other post and confirm what it is.
Many thanks
Jeremy
Pamphonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2008, 12:32 pm   #363
pmmunro
Octode

Jeremy,

This is an original Avometer from between 1923 and 1927. I will check the serial number against the other know examples as soon as I can which may give a more exact date.

A New Zealand correspondant told us about his original Avometer a few months ago. You will find considerably more detail earlier in this thread.

PMM.
pmmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 1:40 pm   #364
davidw
Heptode

I've just acquired another one: it's an Admiralty Pattern No 47A,which at first glance looks like a model 7, until you look at the ranges; volts and amps are in multiples of 12.(ie 12v 120v 480v) Resistance ranges are 1k,10k, using internal 1.5v battery and 100k using an external voltage source.Presumably these ranges relate to voltages etc on board ship.
The serial No is 2064-540.
Cost me £4 at a local auto-jumble.
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 8:57 pm   #365
pmmunro
Octode

David,

You will find that your Admiralty Pattern 47A Avometer is virtually a Model 40 in naval uniform and without the highest resistance range, thus needing only a 1.5V dry cell and no 4.5 volt batteries. The 47A was supplied in a wooden case and seems to have had extra varnish in places to protect it in a marine environment. There was also a Model 48A, which was a 47A with current transformer and high voltage multiplier supplied as a set in a larger wooden case.

PMM.
Old 5th Oct 2008, 10:08 pm   #366
coil1234
Pentode

Three more AVO's in poor Condition have come into my possession;

AVO 9 Mk 4 Ser No 1795-IV-1069

AVO 7 Ser No 7346 26912

Avo 40 Mk 2 Ser No 17656-B-559

The Model 9 & Model 7 have potential movement problems, the Model 40
is possibly OK with a little fettling

Good Luck with the Survey, I have two AVO's in the workshop at
Work to add.

Regards
Mike Andrews
coil1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2008, 11:19 pm   #367
Antlong
Retired Dormant Member

Hello all,

Slowly sorting out after two house moves...

I was given two Avometers, not yet tested but believed ok - certainly the pointers are nice - I'm still ploughing through these five? pages, hopefully some of my knowledge gaps may get filled in due course..

The first is a Model 40, Air Ministry. Type D, Ref 10S/1-610 21343-B-1261.
The back-plate is damaged, I need to find a pic to make out all the words. It only refers to a 1 1/2v cell, no mention of whatever the other batteries are. It has a "Q" knob - switch - with no stated function and it has two "PF" sockets, no instructions but I gather they're for some sort of add-on unit which I'll not worry about.

The second is a High Resistance Avometer Type HRM No 2624-1250. It too has a backplate which is only readable in part although I gather that the batteries are 1 1/2v and 4 1/2v.

I also have two Multi-minors Mk4, neither seems to have a number -

The first, I bought from ?Norman Field, Hurst Street in Birmingham about 1963 for £14. It bears a note from me to me that the AC ranges are defunct and I think I had to cobble together a current-shunt replacement a long time ago. A much-used instrument. Abused too, on occasion...

The other is from a deceased ex-BBC colleague, I think they were issued to OB engineers when he were a lad. It looks the same as mine apart from slight discolouration of the case perhaps and the scale markings are a touch less contrasty - not faded, just not quite so dense.

Quick story - a friend lent his Dad's Avo (7 I think) to a neighbour who used it to see how much current his car battery would deliver... We were only kids and history doesn't record what his Dad said! Or did...

Regards Ant
Antlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2008, 12:55 am   #368
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

For the record, and copied over from my other thread, my AVO collection is as follows:

8 Mk II S/n 129737 10/61
9 Mk II S/n 10.037 06/67
8 Mk III S/n 95631 04/69
8 Mk V S/n 87288 04/73

The 1961 8 Mk II and the 1967 9 MK II are both UK sourced and emigrated with their late owner.

Billy
Billy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2008, 9:52 am   #369
pmmunro
Octode

Antlong,

The first meter you describe seems to be a bit of a hybrid.

The Type 'D' was an Air Ministry specification against which several manufacturers supplied meters, including the Automatic Coil Winder and Electrical Equipment Company (ACWEECO) who made a version of their Avometer to this specification. It is easily distinguished from other similar Avometers because the maximum scales values are based on 75 and 150 rather than 10 or 12. It also has a rotary switch marked "K=1" and "K=-2" instead of the "Divide by two" button.

In the early 1940s, some Type D Avometers were built on Model 40 front panels, presumably because they were available and because no-one had a certain life expectancy which made such details important, (although Ministry officials are unlikely to have let a small detail like that compromise their standards).

It may be that your meter is a Model 40 as the serial number and the Power Factor sockets would suggest, in a Type 'D' case.

The Type 'D' was originally a variant of the 36-range Universal Avometer (c. 1937), but with the introduction of the Model 40 in 1939 the Type 'D' was modified to conform to the changes between the 36-range and the Model 40. The principal differences are the use of the Model 7 style automatic cut-out rather than a fuse and the revised style of switches.

The range of Type 'D' meters which I have seen is 1938 to 1948. A large number were offered on the surplus market in the early 1960s so it seems likely that the Air Ministry had all it needed by 1948.

Do you know the final outcome, for the meter that is, of your story of the car battery?

The Model 7 has an pointer acceleration cut-out as well as the end-stop mechanism and could well have survived being connected across a car battery, though probably not on the most sensitive ranges.

You will find more information on the Type HR in previous posting within the forum.

If your first meter is in fact a Type 'D', I can supply a reproduction instruction plate, indistinguishable from the unused original from which I had a batch copied.

Peter M. Munro
Old 6th Oct 2008, 11:40 pm   #370
Antlong
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Peter,

Thankyou for that prompt and interesting info.

The 40/Type D is explained; the scale is 120 and 480 v and A - and the back plate, looking at it closely, is damaged as much as anything by a carelessly applied X in thin white paint! They ran out of fastening screws too, there are four missing. Obviously someone's done a case transplant, let's hope it wasn't dropped. As I say, the movement moves nicely enough and balances.

I wasn't able to check them yet, I'll let you know. I'll also talk to the chap who gave them to me.

I don't know any more about that long-ago incident with the car battery; Geoff's Dad was Something with the Midlands Electricity Board, they had a car well before anyone else in my circle! I should imagine that he came up with some acceptable story and was issued with another. He also gave us pitch to play with, I don't know how I avoided severe burns on occasion - certainly not for want of trying.

Regards Ant
Antlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2008, 1:45 am   #371
Bigglesworth
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all,
Just rescued two Avo's from the throw out pile at the university I work at.

Sn. Model 8 No.41512-C-1255
Sn. Modle 8 No.7431.1264 MkIII

I remember at least 10 others were used in the physics dept. a few years ago, I'll have to take a walk some time and get the numbers.

Cheers
Phil.
Bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 4:54 pm   #372
hilitevr
Pentode

Hi,

Just aquired an AVO model 7x Panclimatic serial No. 89966A-662

Its a genuine panclimatic with the potted components.

Looks like a 7Mk2 with the two sockets at top corners.

What is the signifcants of the x after model 7?

Regards
Trevor
hilitevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 6:06 pm   #373
Leon Crampin
Octode

"X" = Panclimatic (Tropicalised to a reasonable standard).

Leon.
Leon Crampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 8:20 pm   #374
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

Hi guys
another avo has landed my way, a Model 8 MK 2 serial number 2655c563d

cheers Mark
Mark the Mender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 8:27 pm   #375
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

Errrmmmmmm another has been aquired, a model 8MK5 serial number 06658 8v/3/79

regards Mark
Mark the Mender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2008, 10:44 pm   #376
pizzajohn
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I have a Post Office Telephone's Meter Multirange 14C. The legend "P.O. TEL. M.M.R. 14C" is etched in white between the 'Ohm x 10K' adjustment and the 'cut out' button.

Information on the underside relates to the meter's operation and this is headed "METER MULTIRANGE 14C/2 AVO/60/8".

There is no serial number on the scale plate but a black label on the side has in white lettering:-

003185 DA
8V

This label is replicated under the battery cover

So, I'm assuming that this is an Avo 8V manufactured in August 1960? But, I have been wrong before!!

I booked this out of the stores when I finished my G.P.O. Apprenticeship in 1971 so I'm alreday doubting the date of manufacture as 1960. It has been kept in the leather P.O. case ever since an outwardly the meter would be mint except for a split, red, terminal cover. As to whether it still works well, batteries are on order.
pizzajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2008, 11:41 am   #377
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello I have 2 and have also come to the conclusion that I am daft as well. I have looked a few times for a serial number and had a last look today and there it was plain as day !!!!!!!!
Model 8. number 80982 - 568.
Model 40. number 14205 - 444 dated 1944.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Geoff 555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2008, 3:21 pm   #378
SPCh
Rest in Peace

Thanks for your continuing inputs everybody; sorry if I've been a bit unresponsive of late.
Pizzajohn, I can't vouch for your PO "special". The serial number is in the right sort of range for 1960, but the serial numbers for PO versions follow a unique format for which I don't have enough examples to offer any precision. If we have a retired PO procurement officer with a good memory on the books ....
SPCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2008, 3:44 pm   #379
pmmunro
Octode

Pizzaajohn,

Your PO Model 14C Avometer is essentially a Model 8 Mark V to Post Office specification.

The earliest record I have of the Model 8 Mark V is a "Wireless World" advertisement of December 1972. which has the title line "New. Inside and out. The Avo Model 8 Mk5."

It is possible that the PO had some supplied before this date, but I would not think it likely.

There are usually further characters after serial numbers such as your 003185 DA 8V and these are the month and year of manufacture.

The Model 8 Mark 6 replaced the Mk V around 1980, which gives an 7 - 8 year span of manufacture.

PMM.
Old 30th Nov 2008, 10:06 pm   #380
geo_VE3GZB
Retired Dormant Member

My AVOmeter is marked as follows:

Model 40 Mk II
No. 17094-B-1258 (the B could be an 8? Unsure on mine).
geo_VE3GZB is offline   Reply With Quote