UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2017, 5:19 pm   #1
BiState Vintage

Default Need part for Fidelity 4 Transistor reel-to-reel.

Hi friends.

I am new to this forum, which I stumbled upon drifting through cyberspace, so I hope I am doing this right and hope someone can help me. We're attempting to repair an old portable reel-to-reel tape recorder/player probably from the early '60s. We can't find a model number except it seems to indicate 4Transistor as a model type with Fidelity appearing to be the brand. We need a brass thingy that is missing. I hope someone can tell me the right name for this thingy and maybe also a source for it. We are in the USA, so that might complicate things, but I'm not afraid of using international post! The picture shows the unit and the piece I need.

Thank you very much for any information you might have!

Diane
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4transistor fidelity reel to reel.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	141217  
Old 19th Apr 2017, 8:57 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Octode

Default Re: Need part for Fidelity 4 Transistor reel-to-reel.

Not much help , but I have a set like yours, it is badged "International"

John.
Old 19th Apr 2017, 9:05 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Nonode

Hi and welcome Diane,

This one's a very low budget tape recorder from the Far East. Definitely nothing to do with the UK company Fidelity Radio Ltd. - what tended to happen with machines like this is that some would be marketed under familiar brand names while others, often exactly the same apart from the cosmetic finish, would appear under brands never seen before or again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSHT1XE7_7k shows a recorder badged as a Lloyd's TP-417 which appears to be a clone of yours, and there may be many others. The Fidelity brand may or may not have appeared on much other equipment from Japan - I expect the UK Fidelity operation would have protected their trade mark here, but it won't have cared what was sold under the name in the USA. The "4 Transistor" badging won't designate the model, it's just telling us how many transistors the amplifier uses.

It's a while since I looked at one of these and I'm not sure what may be missing, except you do appear to be missing the wheel for the left hand spool to sit on. I'd guess these were at least as popular in the USA as here, so looking for spares nearer home might be your best course - or even finding a complete machine on eBay to harvest the bits from, I don't think the monetary value of these recorders will be very high anywhere. They're only really fit for recording speech, and the novelty soon wore off for many people which will be why a lot of them were soon put aside and remain in pretty good shape to this day.

Paul
Old 20th Apr 2017, 9:55 am   #4
60 oldjohn
Octode

Hi Diane, I have taken a few photos, I hope they help. I don't think anything is missing in your player. It is a double ended motor, one end being used play / record forward, the other has a tyre to speed tape up for rewind. I have another photo with the right hand spool carrier removed, but for some strange reason it will not upload. But there is nothing on the right hand side of the motor, just a bare shaft.

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hedon list 006.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	141245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hedon list 003.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	141247  
Old 21st Apr 2017, 8:52 am   #5
camtechman
Nonode

Diane, nothing is missing, that's how they're made and how the motor works.

The motor is fitted in a sprung swing cradle and, depending on the transport knob position (Rewind/Stop/Forward) the motor is swung so that the appropriate shaft comes in contact with the black rubber tire on the spool tables.

The shaft with the brass wheel is for the Rewind function and therefore winds back at about twice as fast as the Forward spool. However, in the Stop position both motor shafts rest against both the spool tables.

Tony
Old 21st Apr 2017, 9:03 am   #6
camtechman
Nonode

John,

Sorry to correct you but both spool tables have rubber tires (tyres to the Brits LOL)

It's the very "brass thing" that Diane is referring to that increases the speed to the left (rewind) table.

Last edited by camtechman; 21st Apr 2017 at 9:14 am.
Old 21st Apr 2017, 9:10 am   #7
camtechman
Nonode

Diane,

Just in case you are unaware, these machines work on a transport system known as "Rim Drive".

That is, it doesn't run the tape at a constant speed like a "Capstan Drive" machine, although if you use the tape only on this machine for recording, you won't notice a problem but if you play it back on a capstan drive machine, as the recording made on any rim drive machines, you will hear the recording gradually speed up as the right hand spool fills up with tape and the left hand spool empties.

I'm sure someone on here will explain it better than I have.

P.S. I own 17 differently name branded versions of this very machine.

Tony