UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2022, 1:52 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default Funai Orion Matsui VHS VCR - mech ID?

Just dug out this late 1990s Funai 9A009 VCR that was given to me years ago and not used. Predictably, the loading/function changes were erratic as the (slack) mode belt slipped. The transport is likely what was used in UK Saisho/Matsui/Hinari/Akura high street chain VCRs.

The belt goes onto a pulley which in turn has a worm gear on it that drives the cam. I replaced it by poking out its shaft from the pinch roller end, extracting it at the rear of the mech. This allowed me to slip the old belt out and replace it. A bit fiddly but do-able. I also had to lubricate the sliding plate that emerges forward from the cam sub-assembly after the tape is threaded. This ensured a smoother operation of the modes.

TV mag described servicing one Orion mech in 1995, the one with two load belts but this is a later variant. For all I know it might not even be Orion. Can anyone ID it for future reference?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1879.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	259631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1880.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	259632  
Old 23rd Jun 2022, 1:57 pm   #2
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Re: Funai Orion Matsui VHS VCR - mech ID?

I cant remember that type deck fitted in Matsui/Saisho/ Orion when i worked at Mastercare.
Old 23rd Jun 2022, 2:44 pm   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Funai Orion Matsui VHS VCR - mech ID?

I think Orion had their own decks, separate from Funai. From 1992 on, Funai developed their own decks. Before that, they bought them from Shintom. I think this one looks like a Funai or Shintom deck.

If it's a post 1992 Funai deck, it's probably just called MKx with x being the revision. I think they went through roughly 15 deck revisions between 1992 and the end of production.
Closed Thread