UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2021, 5:47 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default Yaesu FT290

Hi peeps. I acquired a Yaesu FT290 recently, and have done a few changes both on Rx and Tx stages.
However, I would like to add a speech processor / compressor in the Mike casing. I have plenty of SMD SSM2165 vogad devices, and I would prefer an electret mike module.
The problem is the Mike connector is a 7pin plug / socket.I need + V for the vogad / mike supply. I really do not want to change the socket to an 8 pin, have you seen it ?? Has any of our members done such a mod and how did they go about it ?
I could disable one of the push switches as in + /- channel change or the FST button, and it may come to that unless someone has a better idea.
Thanks in anticipation

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 18th Jul 2021, 6:10 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Yaesu FT290

Not sure about your particular circuit but in times-past I built a 1750Hz repeater-toneburst into a Pye "shaver"-style mic casing, using a CMOS chip for the crystal-osc/divider and powering it from a tiny wire-ended NiCd battery of the type intended for memory-backup.

Cunning trick: the battery was charged through a 1N4148-and-5K-resistor combination across the PTT switch; when the PTT was open there was 12V across it and 'stealing' a couple of milliamps to charge the battery was insufficient to cause any issues.

These days I'd use a 'supercapacitor' rather than a battery - either way it should be able to provide a few mA for your processor - just so long as your transmit:receive duty-cycle is sensible and gives the charge-storage-device enough time to refresh itself between 'overs'.
Old 18th Jul 2021, 8:40 pm   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

You might be able to isolate the pin which is normally connected to chassis and rely on the
chassis and the metal mic plug body as the signal ground.
Old 18th Jul 2021, 9:04 pm   #4
Sparky67
Heptode

Could you DC-block the mic wire with a cap behind the fixed connector in the radio and then feed +Ve volts up it to the mod in the mic itself? You might want to current-limit the voltage source to prevent any nasty happenings if a s/c occurs in the mic...!

Martin
G4NCE
Old 18th Jul 2021, 11:58 pm   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

There is a precedent for this in the form of the old K40 speech processor / compressor microphone which was originally designed for for the USA CB market, ie, for AM and SSB.

Since few CB transceivers had + supply available on the mike socket the solution was as outlined in some of the suggestions above - a small amount of power was drawn from the PTT rail during RX mode to charge a capacitor which provided the compressor IC with a power supply during TX.

I actually often considered connecting an original K40 microphone (which I still have) to my FT290R2, but for some reason never did get around to trying it.

One reason may have been that K40s sounded very harsh on FM which they were never designed for, so it would have made it necessary to carry the original microphone around as well, for FM operation.
Old 19th Jul 2021, 2:38 am   #6
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Wendy, if you replace C01 with a non electrolytic 1uF cap, you should be able to drop a current limited 12v on to the mic line without any problem
Old 19th Jul 2021, 2:56 pm   #7
Wendymott
Octode

Well peeps.. you certainly came up trumps with several ideas...its too warm in the workshop at the moment to concentrate.. but I shall certainly be looking into the suggestions Thanks all

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 19th Jul 2021, 3:00 pm   #8
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

The best type of speech processor is generally reckoned to be an RF clipper.
This might be considered. I have built a couple but not put them to use yet so can't comment on how good they are.

http://www.df4zs.com/?page_id=93
Old 20th Jul 2021, 12:28 pm   #9
Wendymott
Octode

Hi John. Very interesting !!.... another avenue to explore... Thanks

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 21st Jul 2021, 8:04 pm   #10
Wendymott
Octode

After a lot of poking and prodding... it seem there were two "spare" wires in the Mike lead. Thus I dont have to "Piggy back" the DC on the AF wire.
Apparently the FST button is there but has no function.... its not even mentioned in the I /B .
I am not going the RF compression route with this one..... however I will seriously look at it for my 2M SSB base station.
I attach the circuit I am going to use...the pcb fits into the old mike area.
The HARD part will be gaining access to the back of the Mike Connector, but a "faint heart never won a fair maiden" .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vogad Ver 3 Sch.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	238046   Click image for larger version

Name:	PCB V3.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	238047  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 30th Jul 2021, 9:15 pm   #11
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Peeps...... HELP !!! Please
My first FT290 is now in a good place... as in.. it works well in both modes. However, there was one on Ebay which was a "reserve".. just in case my primary radio needed parts. It was bought as.. "Spares or repair". Well, as I had success with my first I decided that "repair" was a possibility.
The controls function and the display is in good condition. The 10.81 Mhz I.F strip on RX is comparable with Set one. What appears to be wrong is the VFO is operating at approx - 6 Mhz below carrier than -10.81 Mhz. And there is no frequency shift with the set frequency control.
I looked at the alignment procedure for the VFO and there is no change in the L/O frequency when adjusting the 18.74 Mhz oscillator as per the manual. Set one confirms a fault. I compared all the voltages on the connectors of both modules (front panel) and all seem ok.
Obviously the PLL is sick.... has anyone out there had any experience with the uPD2819 PLL going faulty.
Over to you

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 31st Jul 2021, 1:17 am   #12
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

UP2819 - is pin 7 high or putting out a pulse train (high = pll locked other = unlocked)

And is the 5.76MHz xtal working (pins 2 & 3).

And the obvious one (measured on the actual IC pins) - +5V (Pin 1) and GND (Pin 13)?

Is it receiving data from the MCU ? Pin16 = CLOCK, Pin 17 = DATA & Pin 18 = LATCH <- should be a positive pulse at the end of the word transfer.

Edit: There are also a lot of very low value electrolytic caps around the PLL ic and tuning voltage buffer that I would be suspicious of as well.
Old 31st Jul 2021, 6:56 am   #13
Radio Wrangler

I have a funny feeling there is a scrap FT290 damaged by nicad leakage sitting around somewhere. It's been there for about 20 years with the intent of finding another for spares, which never happened. I'll see if I can dig it out.

I think the digital controller side of it got 12v or so in lots of wrong places via the conductive electrolyte shorting things.

David
Old 31st Jul 2021, 11:17 am   #14
Wendymott
Octode

Hi David and Terry..... Terry... All points covered.....I have used the good one for comparisons and it all seems to check out. EXCEPT Pin 7..... will check that .

David.. can I PM you re some sort of acquisition

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 31st Jul 2021, 1:15 pm   #15
Wendymott
Octode

Well the good news is... The controller pcb module is fine Pin 7 of the loop IC is hunting.. as in pulsed...the VFO tunes to RF in - 10.81 Mhz...so I may look on ebay for a loop IC. Even though offers of a scrap FT290 is imminent .
The HARD part will be removing the Base plate screen ..BIG Iron needed.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 31st Jul 2021, 1:57 pm   #16
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Don't jump too fast - what do you get on pin 14?

Should be the product (I think) of 18.7414MHz (X02 & Q3009) and what ever Q3001, 002 & 003 is producing.

Edit: You should get a frequency between 2 & 5.99MHz at pin 14 as you tune across the band.
Old 31st Jul 2021, 2:36 pm   #17
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Terry.
On the DUFF "Radio B" one.. I get two frequency carriers... one on say 134.23 and the other on 131.18... neither move when tuning is rotated.... on the Good one Radio "A" ..I get a lot of Hash / carriers... But they shift with the tuning pot.
See attached photo's
Wendy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio A pin 14.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	238539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio B pin 14.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	238540  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 1st Aug 2021, 12:26 am   #18
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Can you reach pin 10 of connector J02 on the CPU board?

Is the voltage varying somewhere between 0 & 5V when you tune?

The 131.19 frequency should vary as you tune - this does not come from the PLL chip but from the CPU.

Attached pdf is block diagram with the PLL and frequencies you are seeing lower left - sounds like Q3004 is not mixing.

You'll need to zoom to about 400% to see it clearly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FT290 PLL.pdf (39.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 11:34 am   #19
Radio Wrangler

Scrap FT290 found!

David
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 12:06 pm   #20
Wendymott
Octode

EXCELLENT David Please pm me to arrange where and when

Regards
Wendy G8BZY