UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2018, 10:12 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Which wax for fixing coils?

I was wondering is there a particular type of wax for fixing rf coils , or is there one not to use? Mick.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 11:09 pm   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Which wax for fixing coils?

It is a mix of beeswax and paraffin wax (ie candle wax). There are various recipes for ratio, but about one part beeswax and three parts paraffin wax by weight seems to work well. Melt it, and then dunk the coil in for five minutes until bubbles cease to come out. Pull out and let it drip.

Beeswax in block form best comes from a woodwork supplier (Liberon brand). Google "liberon beeswax block". And just regular candles; once melted just pull out the wicks.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 11:53 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Oddly enough, I've found that the red wax which covers the little ovoid 'Baby Bel' cheeses is excellent, although I appreciate it won't be on many people's menu! The wax recovered from one small cheese will last for years. It stays nice and waxy but just firm enough. Beeswax in block form - like candle wax, seems to set quite firm, albeit it does the job.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 9:37 am   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

Ah now I do have a bees wax ornamental thing I think it may be due for the melting pot , thank's for the replies ! Mick.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 5:02 pm   #5
Jolly 7
Octode

I have found soya wax flakes useful. I have melted a few flakes over a stove and used it to hold ferrite loopstick coils in place.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 9:35 pm   #6
beamcurrent
Heptode

I have used the wax from old wax paper or mica capacitors with some success. Grand if you just need a few drops and we all have a pile of duff wax caps!

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum

Last edited by beamcurrent; 25th Feb 2018 at 9:36 pm. Reason: grammer
Old 25th Feb 2018, 9:39 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Be careful about using waxes of biological origin [or which have been in contact with foods] - looking down the time-horizon I could imagine them becoming home to all sorts of nasty and potentially-corrosive bugs in a few decades time.
Closed Thread