UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2021, 5:09 pm   #1
djorrell
Triode

Default Dynatron T66 tuner

Hi all, I'm getting somewhat depressed now. The tuner in my recent aquisition, a Dynatron HFC2A is dead. on taking the panel out to see if there was a obviouse problem a came across what looks like a previous bodge job, (see photos). If this is infact the work of Dynatron then they have seriously gone dow in my estimation. Has anyone out there got any images of how their board is mounted and if it looks like components have been thrown on from distance. I have no idea where to start with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	231488   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	231489   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	231490   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	231491  
Old 11th Apr 2021, 5:37 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron T66 tuner

You wll find that Dynatrons of this later period will have the odd component apparently randomly soldered directly to the rear side of the PC Board. A Service Sheet for this model can be found at the top of this page. I do not know it shows illustrations of the board/s layout. Some of these were "running changes" made without any Service Sheet reference. Don't expect state-of-the-art assembly from Dynatrons of the late 1960s. Sadly, they were very much about "Top Show"!
Old 12th Apr 2021, 4:50 pm   #3
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Dynatron T66 tuner

The added components in picture 1 don't appear to be original and they might be something to do with an added matching or filter circuit. You will need to check where they are connected to. The fixings are not shown in the 67/68 RTS book, just panel layouts, so a service manual would be needed to be certain as to whether the fixings should be tapping screws or set screws and nuts. Possibly tapping screws originally and replaced by a repairer due them being lost or no longer biting into the chassis. Either way that pcb should be firmly fixed to the chassis member that it's mounted to. Service info is available from the top right link as download for a nominal fee.

Dave