UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2021, 10:07 pm   #1
Murphy Maniac
Hexode

Default Radiomobile Type 4200

I have started work on a very dilapidated Radiomobile Type 4200 radio. The amplifier which I have is Radiomobile Type 46028A. This has been listed in an old post elsewhere as suitable for use with this radio but I can't find a circuit for it or any confirmation as to its suitability.
Am I mistaken in thinking that this amp/PSU will do the job?
Also, can anyone point me in the direction of the circuit diagram for this model, it doesn't seem to be listed in the Service Data above.
Thanks,
Geoff.

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 10th Apr 2021 at 10:12 pm. Reason: unnecessary vehicle references removed
Old 10th Apr 2021, 10:22 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Radiomobile Type 4200

I found this within a few minutes of googling.

Two amplifiers were used with the 4200 series tuners. The first is model # 46028A which powers a single external speaker and the more powerful 46028B which can handle 1-2 external speaker(s). Mine has a 46028B amplifier powering a single speaker.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 11th Apr 2021, 11:03 am   #3
Murphy Maniac
Hexode

Default Re: Radiomobile Type 4200

Thanks Mike, I had already found that reference, your Type B is a high output version delivering a nominal 6W, suitable for powering 1 or 2 speakers. The article is discussing radios fitted to Jaguars and, as far as I am aware, the HMV4220 radio was fitted exclusively to Rover P4's. The service information from this site shows the radio connected to an amplifier unit designated Type 46028E and the Jaguar site, copied below, makes only passing reference to this model with no details.

2.10 Amplifier Units for the 4200 Series
The 4200 series radios had a seperate remote Amplifier unit. There were two different versions of the Amplifier unit:

medium output version Type A with nominal 2.5 and maximum 3 watt output for one loudspeaker
high output version Type B with nominal 6 and maximum 7 watt output, suitable for one or two loudspeakers.

Radiomobile numbers are 46028A and 42068B respectively. There is also a Type E amplifier (coded 46028E) of which the exact application is unclear. Note that Jaguar only used the 46028B version with their part number C.5364.

The first generation Amplifier Units had an 8-pin connector system for the cable from Receiver to Amplifier. This system was used for all "3 unit constructions" up to 1955....

Hence my question. Is Type E the only unit suitable for the P4 specific 4220, or will a type A do the job?

The amplifier unit which I have was in my 'might come in useful' spares cupboard and I was recently given the tuner part from out of a car, so the two units have not spent their life together. The 8-pin plug has been cut off and is missing from the tuner unit.

Any thoughts would be welcome - as would a circuit diagram for Amp units A and E.

Thanks,
Geoff.

Last edited by Murphy Maniac; 11th Apr 2021 at 11:10 am. Reason: Formatting
Closed Thread