UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2021, 3:11 pm   #1
pentoad
Hexode

Default Wem copicat Watkins ic900 varispeed motor noise

This is more or less the same as the belt drive ic400 varispeed
There is a fair amount of whirring noise coming from the motor (not the fly wheel) I'm not certain how much is acceptable as I don't know what it was like when new.
I have oiled the bearing which is accessable.
Not sure if replacing the rubber grommits mounts would make a difference.
Should I be thinking of a replacement?
I would be grateful for a reply from anyone who has worked on this model.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 9:39 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Wem copicat Watkins ic900 varispeed motor noise

Are the mounting grommets broken or gone hard? They should be supple I suspect. If unsure perhaps temporarily remove the motor to see how noisy it is mechanically decoupled from the mounting plate. Or maybe just try to temporarily support its weight so it doesnt bear down on the grommets.
Old 11th Apr 2021, 12:17 am   #3
fetteler
Octode

I bet you can't hear the motor whirring when you turn your amp up to number 11!

Steve.
Old 11th Apr 2021, 12:42 am   #4
Techman
Dekatron

I'm with fetteler on that one - wind up that volume!

Sorry, not very helpful, but it had to be said.

I would do as TIMTAPE suggests first of all...then wind up the volume.
Old 11th Apr 2021, 11:05 am   #5
pentoad
Hexode

I'm not sure if the motor noise or vibration would contribute to uneven tape transport bearing in mind it it is belt driven. The other concern is that the vibration could transfer to the heads via the fascia plate. I am hearing warble as the the repeats decay, having said that it the belt seems slack and should be replaced, although it seems to work.
Would a new motor be silent though?
Old 11th Apr 2021, 12:13 pm   #6
G6ONEDave
Octode

All the motors that I heard were rather noisy due to being run at high speed but should not be to noticable when operating inside the case. Check all the moving parts in the tape path for wear and a tighter drive belt. Drive belts and tape loops were common replacement parts but given the age of the unit, it might well be worth checking the heads for wear as well.

Dave
Old 11th Apr 2021, 12:33 pm   #7
Techman
Dekatron

I've got a couple of echo boxes. The one like yours is a much earlier valve one from the very early sixties (or even late fifties, I can't remember) and it hasn't been touched for years and is buried in the back of a cupboard awaiting restoration, if I ever get round to it. I'm not familiar with yours, but the first thing I found on a quick search just now turned up this article linked to below, which I didn't read through, but noticed that it mentions, to quote - "The main problem with this one was a loud mechanical hum while the tape was running. It was cured by stripping out the motor and lubricating both end bearings with sewing machine oil. Oddly enough, it turned out to be the top one causing the trouble"...I would guess that you've probably already found and read this page if you've already done a bit of research of your own. Note that both bearings were lubricated, not just the accessible one, although that's the one that you've oiled which was said to be the cause of the noise.
https://www.backfromthesixties.co.uk...400-vari-speed

Last edited by Techman; 11th Apr 2021 at 12:38 pm.
Old 11th Apr 2021, 6:00 pm   #8
pentoad
Hexode

It's all lubricated now and sounds a lot quieter, just whirring a little bit
Closed Thread