UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2021, 11:56 am   #1
izoomer
Diode

Default Ferguson 3218

I bought a working Ferguson reel to reel tape recorder model 8312. But the right hand spindle wasn’t running freely. I removed the clip from the bottom of the shaft and cleaned the spindle and put it back together. I turned it back on and it is now turning around well, but there is no sound, in fact there is nothing. None of the valves heaters work, the motor works fine though. I cannot find a circuit diagram for this model. All that was done was to turn the deck upside down to fix the sticky spindle, then turned the right way up. Not sure where to look,
Izoomer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ferguson3812.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	231366  

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 10th Apr 2021 at 2:01 pm. Reason: re titled with correct model number
Old 10th Apr 2021, 12:13 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 8312

Quote:
Originally Posted by izoomer View Post
I bought a working Ferguson reel to reel tape recorder model 8312.
3218?

Lawrence.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 1:59 pm   #3
izoomer
Diode

Default Re: Ferguson 8312

typo, yes a 3218,
Old 10th Apr 2021, 2:01 pm   #4
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Ferguson 3218

Am confused by the model number 8312, your attached picture file name shows it as being 3812. The 3812 relates to a BRC 1579 tv set in my data reference. No data showing for an 8312 and 3182 is a radio. Please post a photo showing the model number plate, thanks.

Dave
Old 10th Apr 2021, 2:03 pm   #5
Cobaltblue

Title changed good spot Lawrence.

I am wondering if either connections fell off or the boards were damaged when it was upside down?

The lack of filament supply suggests there is a disconnect or a short somewhere.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 10th Apr 2021, 2:07 pm   #6
G6ONEDave
Octode

The 3218 service data is avalable from the download link at the top of the page. My last post crossed with the update model number.

Dave
Old 10th Apr 2021, 3:55 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

You will see when you look at the data sheet schematic, that if the capstan motor is running Ok then this should mean that 240V mains should be getting to the primary of the mains transformer T2.

The 3 paralled valve filament heaters are fed from the filament heater secondary winding of the mains transformer, nothing is shown fused, so with a working motor it as suggested already, would appear to indicate bad connection, maybe from the mains voltage selection SK5 to the primary winding or bad connection from secondary winding to heaters or a dead/shorted transformer. Should be fairly easy to prove one way or the other but be very careful, mains voltage can bite !

David
Closed Thread