UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Apr 2021, 9:55 am   #1
BrionyH
Diode

Default Help with 1978 8 Track Player

Hi there,

We have an 8 track player and radio! I was born in 1995 so I've never heard of it before and find it quite fascinating and want to try and get it working properly. We've already bought quite a few tapes for it and it does play and the radio works fine but there's a few issues that mean it's not 100%. Both of us are completely new to any sort of Audio tech but do have experience with computers. It doesn't seem to skip tracks when the button is pressed and it also doesn't play through all the channels. It only plays on the left in the front and right in the back from what we can tell. Does anyone have experience troubleshooting and repairing these players in the UK? We're reasonably open to DIY if that's the only option but would prefer for a professional or someone more knowledgeable o take a look at it. We're in the Stoke on Trent area and willing to travel a reasonable distance. Little worried about posting it incase it gets lost or damaged. We've already worked out it probably needs a belt replacement and the Model is GM2700 and Part no. 7898490. Thank you for any help or replies!

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 14th Apr 2021 at 9:59 am. Reason: Automotive
Old 14th Apr 2021, 10:58 am   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Help with 1978 8 Track Player

There is a pretty comprehensive thread here on some of the 8 track pitfalls.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...hlight=8+Track

Overall it's a format I quite like and is definitely of its time.

It sounds as if there may be an issue in the tape section if the Radio is OK on all channels.

There are quite a few members in your area but you will probably need to wait a day or two before they see your post.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 14th Apr 2021, 1:44 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Hello Briony and welcome to the Forum.

Is this a Delco in car unit ? (the only 8 track GM2700 I can easily find reference to) or a stand alone unit.

When you say front and back are you referring to front and rear speakers in a car ?

David

Update - I think it must be a General Motors Delco unit because the part number 7898490 you referenced matches the Delco number.

Last edited by DMcMahon; 14th Apr 2021 at 1:53 pm. Reason: Update
Old 14th Apr 2021, 9:19 pm   #4
BrionyH
Diode

Hi David! Thanks for the welcome. You are indeed correct. And yeah the car has four speakers. 2 in the rear and 2 in the front. The speakers work fine when using the radio but on the 8 track it only plays out of two. However sometimes it plays out of four, almost like a loose connection somewhere.
Old 16th Apr 2021, 8:19 am   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I am not familiar with car front/rear speaker wiring connections but would have thought that the radio and tape player speaker outputs would be common, I cannot find an electrical schematic for your unit.

First attachment shows the 4 pin connectors for the speaker connections.

Second attachment shows which connector has which connections, if I interpret it correctly, the top connector is for the rear speakers and the middle connector is for the front speakers. Make sure that both of these connectors are fully pushed in.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker connectors.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	231885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker connections.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	231886  
Closed Thread