UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2021, 2:48 pm   #1
HECTOR63
Banned

Default Amazon Molex Kit

Just taken delivery of one of these this morning and very impressive and helps a great deal for my needs on going
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Molex Connector Box.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	231053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Molex 2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	231054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Molex 3.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	231055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Molex 4.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	231056  
Old 6th Apr 2021, 4:54 pm   #2
Scimitar
Heptode

Default Re: Amazon Molex Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECTOR63 View Post
Just taken delivery of one of these this morning and very impressive and helps a great deal for my needs on going
But they are JST, not Molex!
Old 6th Apr 2021, 6:22 pm   #3
chriswood1900
Octode

Yes I also bought one a couple of months back and agree it is good value, I did have to buy a suitable crimp tool to fit them.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 7:14 pm   #4
Pamphonica
Nonode

The key to crimping these tiny connectors is to make sure thet the two arms of the crimp area fold right down in the middle and crush the wire properly. A bit like a rounded "B" in cross section. Just squeezing with pliers leaves a very weak joint.
I laboured for ages trying to get a good crimp on these tiny connectors with pliers and finally gave up and bought the Engineer PA-09 crimper. A seeming over-expensive and simple tool. But it has been perfectly designed and made to do excellent crimps, and works over quite a range of the smaller crimp connectors. A good investment if you are making lots of these crimps.
And I suggest you don't make the mistake I used to make of then soldering the crimped joint "just to make sure". This guarantees that the solder wicks up the wire, making a nice fracture point a little way up from the crimp!
-Jeremy
Old 7th Apr 2021, 1:23 pm   #5
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamphonica View Post
The key to crimping these tiny connectors is to make sure thet the two arms of the crimp area fold right down in the middle and crush the wire properly. A bit like a rounded "B" in cross section. Just squeezing with pliers leaves a very weak joint.
I laboured for ages trying to get a good crimp on these tiny connectors with pliers and finally gave up and bought the Engineer PA-09 crimper. A seeming over-expensive and simple tool. But it has been perfectly designed and made to do excellent crimps, and works over quite a range of the smaller crimp connectors. A good investment if you are making lots of these crimps.
And I suggest you don't make the mistake I used to make of then soldering the crimped joint "just to make sure". This guarantees that the solder wicks up the wire, making a nice fracture point a little way up from the crimp!
-Jeremy
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ENGINEER-pa.../dp/B002AVVO7K

The price of Precision
Old 7th Apr 2021, 1:24 pm   #6
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HECTOR63 View Post
But they are JST, not Molex!
Just noted thanks for the heads up
Old 7th Apr 2021, 1:33 pm   #7
Keith956
Heptode

A good guide to crimp connectors here: http://www.mattmillman.com/info/crimpconnectors/
Old 7th Apr 2021, 4:56 pm   #8
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith956 View Post
A good guide to crimp connectors here: http://www.mattmillman.com/info/crimpconnectors/
Yes that's definitely a great guide indeed and shows loads of options, surprising about the not so great write up on the Engineer PA09,but I guess its what works for the person with the job to hand.
Old 7th Apr 2021, 5:20 pm   #9

40 Quid for a crimp tool, the last Molex one I bought (for work) was £300. I tend to harmonise (silly word for use the same) work and home connectors, I can borrow the tool (and get free connectors too), win win!

Old 8th Apr 2021, 11:14 am   #10
HECTOR63
Banned

Yes I agree somewhat but I personally have no problem paying the money for good tooling, likewise with crimping terminations for Hi end and esoteric hifi with eye watering costs of cables etc, the terminations have to be spot on every time. But shall still be looking to making a purchase of something that fits the bill and its only small scale hobby things and projects these days. Years ago when we used lots of crimping activities with Car Radio etc installation and auto electrical works some of those were a bit trial and error, but smaller and much more intricate things at this level do require more precision style tooling so long as it does the job properly.
Closed Thread