UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2021, 6:20 pm   #1
Mac110274
Diode

Default Avometer model 8 mk4

Hi all new to the forum thanks for having me my first question is I've got an avo model 8 mk4 got it cheap as the cut put wouldn't stay in when I opened it up I found the latch mechanism wasnt working I've had a read and it turns out there should have been a ball bearing there which luckily I found on the magnet however after sorting that out it appears the length of wire that comes off the back off the pointer is also missing is it possible to repair this if so how long does it need to be and what diameter is the wire can it be
Soldered or would I have to glue it cheers for any advice
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 12:01 pm   #2
pmmunro
Octode

Default Re: Avometer model 8 mk4

Welcome to the Forum.

If you check cut-out bell crank you should find that it is a die-casting in the Model 8 Mk IV. The push rod will fit in a brass insert which is drilled to receive it. The hole size will give you the correct diameter and it is a simple plain length of piano wire, unlike in earlier meters whose push-rodes are formed into an eyelet. I don't have a Mk IV meter apart at the moment so I can't tell you the correct length.

There is a brass guide bracket for the top end and this bracket has two holes for some reason. However, it will be fairly obvious which one gives the correct alignment.

It may be worth checking that the missing push-rod is not still inside the casing or stuck to the magnet.

Once you have the assembly complete, you will have to adjust the cut-out for the correct sensitivity.

PMM
Old 5th Apr 2021, 10:10 pm   #3
Mac110274
Diode

Default Re: Avometer model 8 mk4

Thanks for the info will give it a go however the cut out mechanism is held in with a brass screw and I've found that the threads in the plastic are worn out I'm thinking I will need to get the boards and movement out to repair it somehow.
Closed Thread