UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2020, 7:40 pm   #21
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Default Re: Does anyone remember the 'electronic mouse' circa 1978?

From my memory XEE used the FCHxx series of logic IC's not the 7400 series. These were difficult to obtain and eventually cost my father a lot.
Old 5th Apr 2021, 11:01 pm   #22
unitelex
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al (astral highway) View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
Anyway as far as I recall the design I saw used two ORP12 photoresistors or similar located in the mouse's ears, and as you say the whiskers triggered the "backout" option via switches, the design I also recall also used Germanium driver transistors for the motors.
That's the one! Yes, it definitely used photoresistors in the ears and also germanium driver transistors!

This one that you've identified was a lot simpler than some of those being spotted on this thread with logic on board.

I definitely saw it when in around '77-78 or so; as you say it may have been reprinted or something.

It's great to find out more about it all these years later!
Apologies for responding late to this thread, only just noticed it...
I am pretty sure the reference book you refer to is "Physics Projects" by A D Bulman 1972.
Page 22 has "An electronic mouse" designed by sixth former Roger Forshaw an early version of which was exhibited at Cambridge Science Fair in 1965
It describes exactly as you have above. There are two versions of the circuit, MkIII and MK IV, the MKIII uses current control of the motors and the MK IV uses voltage control in bridge driver configuration, the latter being able to reverse individual motors. It has the wire whiskers and the photocells in the ears as described. All germanium transistors OC series GET series PXA, V32/20
I have the book and I could scan the article if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Chris
Old 6th Apr 2021, 12:21 am   #23
Red to black
Nonode

That would be great thanks, I am sure Al would also be interested.

I wonder if that same book also had the twin solenoid electric reciprocating motor design in it too ? I did manage to build a version of the latter with the help of some Meccano and tried using reed switches and magnets for timing, I ended up using optical switching in the end.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 3:21 am   #24
unitelex
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
That would be great thanks, I am sure Al would also be interested.

I wonder if that same book also had the twin solenoid electric reciprocating motor design in it too ? I did manage to build a version of the latter with the help of some Meccano and tried using reed switches and magnets for timing, I ended up using optical switching in the end.

Hi,
Just checked and yes the book I mentioned does have "A twin-solenoid induction motor" Article 5 page 19

I will scan when I get a minute

Best Regards
Chris
Old 7th Apr 2021, 5:39 pm   #25
unitelex
Hexode

Scans of the circuit and assembly layout

From "Physics Projects" by AD Bulman 1972

This is a school library book that I forgot to return in 1975

Fortunately for me, due to a clerical inadequacy on the part of the school, the loan date stampings do not have the year included. The last date stamped was 10th October, so perhaps I could wait until mid October 2021 and return it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronic Mouse circuit MkIII.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	231167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronic Mouse circuit MKIV.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	231168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronic Mouse assembly MKIV.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	231169  

Last edited by unitelex; 7th Apr 2021 at 5:41 pm. Reason: adding missing scans
Old 9th Apr 2021, 9:07 am   #26
Andrew2
Nonode

I remember we built one at school. It was very simple, just a basic 3-wheel bogie with a steerable front wheel. It's normal mode would have it going round in tight circles until it detected a light source, when it would snap into 'straight ahead' mode and head for the light. If it lost sight of the light it would go into spin mode again until it found it. I think a similar design appeared in PE around 1968.
Old 9th Apr 2021, 8:04 pm   #27
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I doubt this is the article that Al is looking for but there was an interesting robot project with transistor circuitry in Radio and Electronics Constructor magazine which ran from July to December 1972. All issues can be acessed on World Radio History website:https://worldradiohistory.com/Radio_...r_Magazine.htm

Regards,
Symon
Old 9th Apr 2021, 9:44 pm   #28
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Also a robot dog was described in one of the Philips tech library books, it used D*** series B7G valves

Ed
Old 10th Apr 2021, 10:10 pm   #29
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitelex View Post

Fortunately for me, due to a clerical inadequacy on the part of the school, the loan date stampings do not have the year included. The last date stamped was 10th October, so perhaps I could wait until mid October 2021 and return it.

Thanks for posting! That's the circuit I remember.

I hope folk enjoying taking a look.

Cheers