UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2020, 12:11 am   #21
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: Background music tape formats

I always fancied one of these but they were always so expensive.
I did hear one demonstrated to me by a reel to reel enthusiast { who's name escapes me. } I met in Malvern Worcs . many years ago . Very impressive.
Peter W Reelguy.
Old 13th Nov 2020, 8:26 pm   #22
theoldtrout
Hexode

We've repaired three of these over past ten years. Made by Wurlitzer and apparently used for continuous music in shops. One mechanism plays the 'A' sides and the other the 'B; sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	154_o.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	220304   Click image for larger version

Name:	501_o.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	220305   Click image for larger version

Name:	640_o.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	220306   Click image for larger version

Name:	690_o.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	220307   Click image for larger version

Name:	2571_o.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	220308  

Old 11th Feb 2021, 6:05 am   #23
Tony_Czak
Diode

Hi everyone,
Bit of a long shot but I was wondering if anybody had information regarding 8-track background music tapes that were produced/supplied by PEL UK for use in supermarkets etc. These were long play tapes generally with a playing time of 4 hours! (when played at the correct speed).

I understand that PEL UK was the UK distributor for Muzak also and supplied 'Muzak' branded cartridges. From what I know, they contained a mix of commercially available instrumentals, some custom Muzak recordings and a wealth of library music. I kick myself that I missed out on acquiring a whole bunch of these recently but at the time was in hospital and then my Mother passed away so the last thing I was doing was checking online auction and selling sites!

There were all sorts of categories 'Bright Instrumental', 'Light Instrumental', 'Mellow', 'Background' even some Pop/Vocal ones (although my interest is in the Instrumental ones). Does anybody have any examples of these or as I say further information, it'll be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 31st Mar 2021, 9:37 pm   #24
dickywink
Diode

Hi guys
regarding the Ditchburn formats in the UK they were all 2 track 1.7/8
But when they tried to break into the American market to compete with Musak they developed a 4 track unit ... these tapes and player were not compatible with the UK players and tapes
I Hopefully have a USA machine on the way to me to be on Display at the Ditchburn Museum in Lytham St Annes ,,, Ditchburn were also using the Seeburg 1000 BGM as part of their music systems, i have recently finished restoring one of these also to be on display when we open next year
Check us out here for the BGMs and lots of Ditchburn related info
https://www.ditchburn.co.uk/jukeboxes-11.htm
all the best ... Dr Ditchburn
Closed Thread