UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2021, 7:03 pm   #1
Jerry9633
Diode

Default Noisy Tandberg 11 2M tape recorder

Hi! I recently acquired a portable Tandberg tape recorder - Model 11. It has the later motor circuit board having serial number 2306185. Superficially it is in good condition, but there is a problem. When you run the motor for playback, record, fast forward or rewind, it makes a lot of noise, as though something is catching. The noise sounds as though something is catching a moving part, and it is speed specific, so the knocking is faster when rewinding or fast forward. Please see attached photos. The noise appears to be coming from beneath the brown pulley wheel. I'd like to get it running properly. I can't see anything obvious, though I haven't started to take it apart. Any ideas as to the most likely cause? Could it be as simple as something catching on the flywheel? Would very much appreciate any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tandberg_1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	231499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tandberg_2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	231500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tandberg_3.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	231501  
Old 12th Apr 2021, 9:45 am   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Noisy Tandberg 11 2M tape recorder

A nice looking Tandberg, I am not familiar with this model so have no real idea, have you got the service manual which will show the mechanical details ?

I think you will have to slowly take it apart (taking careful note with photos where everything goes) maybe try manually rotating the motor/flywheel/brown pulley wheel as different parts are removed, to ascertain where the noise is originating from.

I had a Grundig with somewhat similar symptoms (although not varying speed noise) which turned out to be finned impeller on the motor shaft rubbing on the underside of one of the rubber drive wheels.

David
Old 12th Apr 2021, 12:39 pm   #3
TIMTAPE
Octode

I worked on one only of these many years ago. I remember the main problem was related to a rubber tyred idler wheel. I dont recall whether the wheel needed to be rerubbered or the bearing was shot. Maybe both.

I'd check the idlers for hopefully still firm but flexible rubber tyres and that their bearings are lubricated and not too worn.

I guessed these Tandbergs were competition for the Uher Reports of the day rather than the much more expensive and better mechanically engineered Nagra and Stellavox portables.
Old 12th Apr 2021, 11:28 pm   #4
Jerry9633
Diode

Thanks for getting back to me on this. Good advice which I will follow up on. Yes I do have the workshop manual and will work on some careful dismantling.
Closed Thread