UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2021, 7:37 pm   #21
Scott5591
Tetrode

Default Re: STK power modules

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortedradio View Post
I replaced 2 STK016 modules in a Sansui AU-2200 mid January. So far so good (fingers crossed!). I did use NOS ones from a closed down repair shop, as I beleive there are a lot of counterfeit ones for sale.
Seems to be a lot of counterfeit everything on eBay.

I just bought a NOS Omron relay from eBay for my Sony receiver. Fortunately the one I received is “Made in Japan” and was bought from CPC years ago.

Omron relays are now Made in China so it’s hard to know if you are buying originals
Old 1st Apr 2021, 9:14 am   #22
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5591 View Post
Omron relays are now Made in China so it’s hard to know if you are buying originals
Sad to hear that. I have always had a high regard for them. Will the Chinese ones be of such good quality ?

Re STKs, As several members have noted, one must obtain replacements with the EXACT same part numbers. A series of technics organs I remember had an STK465M (obtainable only from Technics) output chip. These were rather expensive, but trying to economise with a plain STK465 resulted inevitably in a call-back after a short period of time.
Generally, I found that if all the small peripheral capacitors around the chip were changed for 105ºc types, most STKs gave little trouble afterwards. Tony.
Old 1st Apr 2021, 3:57 pm   #23
John123
Heptode

I've seen those little off-the-shelf Class-D amplifier modules used as replacements for STK's. Often resulting in a much greater output, and they barely get warm with moderate use.

Admittedly, they might look quite out of place in vintage gear (some even sport Bluetooth connectivity!), but it's definitely something to consider if all other avenues have been exhausted..and it is certainly getting that way!
Old 11th Apr 2021, 7:53 am   #24
Aussieoldradio
Diode

Thanks for the responses about the STK's. Have traced the signal through up to the STK041 and all seems ok. After making some measurements around the module, it does not appear to be good. With all the negatives from most replies, it might be a good option to look around for some discrete components in my junkbox and forget about the replacement module. It's a good unit and only 10 - 15 Watts we are talking about so this should not be too difficult to handle. Good on you all.
Old Aussie Radio.
Closed Thread