UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2016, 7:36 pm   #41
ToneArm
Pentode

Default Re: Record cleaning truths and myths

Martin, drop me a PM with your address and i'll send you one.
Glyn
Old 6th May 2016, 9:12 am   #42
richieyork
Pentode

I've been using Evo-Stick Wood Adhesive (green bottle - solution is white) for the last couple of years for stubbornly dirty records. OK, it's slow, requires care and patience (I leave them 24 hours to dry) but I've had excellent results. Many previously 'unplayable' (unlistenable) records due to noise have been rescued this way. It works in much the same way as expensive cleaners in that it gets down to the muck in the grooves but in this case the dirt is lifted out when the dried glue is peeled away. It's worth a try if you're brave/competent/tried everything else/got nothing to lose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160506_084602.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	124100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140921-WA0002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	124101   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140916_065935.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	124102  
Old 6th May 2016, 9:52 am   #43
sp10mk11
Octode

Richieyork
I can see how well this can work, I remember in the late 70s womens face pack masks being tried with some success aswell.
Gary
Old 6th May 2016, 11:37 am   #44
stevehertz
Dekatron

I'm not sure how expensive using PVA glue per record is (not to mention the time), but if like me you can get a Keith Monks owner to clean your whole collection as a job lot, then that's got to be the way forwards. Mine were also put into new plastic lined paper sleeves so that any particles of dust or dirt do not go back into the grooves again. If I'd have used the PVA method on my collection I would have still been doing it now weeks later, so I don't think that it's an effective method for doing lots of records - timewise certainly not, moneywise I'm not sure. But yes, clearly PVA is a very good way of cleaning vinyl records.
Old 6th May 2016, 12:07 pm   #45
sp10mk11
Octode

stevehertz
Hello Steve just out of interest there is this on ebay "Hunt Record Brushes", these are carbon fibre ones and as I remember and rated well.
Gary
Old 6th May 2016, 12:22 pm   #46
stevehertz
Dekatron

Gary I have that brush. It came with a Hunt EDA Formula P2 record cleaning kit that I bought in the early 80s. The P2 liquid solution was supposed to be the bee's knees for record cleaning (I never did come a conclusion when using it), but I have since read that it has resulted in 'problems' decades later ie now. And indeed I had a lot of problems with mould growth (spots) on my records. How much can be blamed on the Hunts and how much is due to storage in the corner of a cold, damp room, I don't know, maybe both.. Anyway, the solution itself was used up years ago but I still use the brush as a 'surface sweeper' to remove any airborne dust when I place a record on the turntable. I don't class it as record cleaner by any means, just for the purpose mentioned.
Old 8th Apr 2021, 8:27 pm   #47
AmplifyAudio
Triode

Default Re: Record cleaning truths and myths.

To clean records, all you need is some really hot soapy water and a good stiff brush! </Joke>

Yeah, really not that! Personally not sure about vinegar although it is good for cleaning a lot of things.

The Right Hon. Mr Sir Techmoan (YouTube) did a review of different record cleaning systems a couple of years ago, so have a look there. Also, I think Vinyl Eyezz (or someone like) has a couple of videos about record cleaning...

It does depend on how the records have been stored though...

Me? I bought a ProJect VC-S a few years ago, which is expensive, but good and somewhat justifiable if you have a lot of discs. A lot of my records and also my sister's records (that she gave me a few years ago) were stored in a house that had bad heating and unknown damp issues for many years. Some of these records are covered in fungus. Literally covered in it.

The ones affected, the outer covers look fine, the inner sleeves have a few marks on, and the records are absolutely covered in spores on both sides. If I was to play one of these records, not only would the grunge and ick would be ground into the grooves, but it would also create more wear on my stylus. Oh, and sound horrible too!