UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2021, 8:48 pm   #1
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Default TEK 2246A comments please.

I have been offered a TEK 2246A 'scope. I understand it is four channel analogue, 100MHz bandwidth. Is this "too new if it goes wrong", or a decent analogue scope. Common faults, or quite reliable.
I currently have a rather rough but nonetheless good working TEK 475A if I need higher bandwidth (and much higher than the 2246A) and an HP 1703A 35 MHz storage scope, mains battery portable (but HEAVY) which is my go to machine.
Do I pursue the 2246A, or am I wasting my time, and if I do go after it, suggestions regarding value please.
Les.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 9:28 pm   #2
factory
Octode

Default Re: TEK 2246A comments please.

Had one of those in the bench at work, never had any problems with it, nor did calibration, which is just as well as we didn't have the appropriate Torx key to open it.
It was in use until about three years ago when the electronics section was closed down.

Since then I've acquired a 2245 variant, it had an odd fault relating to the voltage reference which has since gone with an adjustment of the pot for that & checking the voltages from the reference divider.
While it was apart I dealt with the usual failed paper based filter capacitors in the PSU, it was a bit tricky to get at the PSU as a fair amount of parts need removing to gain access.
These also have a battery soldered to the CPU board for the cal data, I noted it had been replaced in around 2000, shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement for this.

David
Old 6th Apr 2021, 11:54 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

I also have a 2245 that needed repair due to a maintenance accident whilst investigating a memory error which I have never seen myself. Seems OK and reliable, it is not a true 4 channel, the 2246 has 'extras'. These were reasonably priced tek's and my other scope, a much older tek 454a, has a sharper and brighter trace so more suited to single shot (when it works as it has developed a channel fault).
Old 7th Apr 2021, 6:58 am   #4
RogerEvans
Hexode

Have a look at https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/2246 if you want some details. I briefly had a 2245A which I thought was a fun repair project but the 'will not power on' turned out to be due to the plastic connecting rod from the front panel to the rear mounted switch having come loose.

The 2246 has additional features for the measurement cursors and includes frequency and phase measurements, only you can say how useful that would beand how much you would want to pay. It is easy to use and probably not as heavy as the 475, but it is 'only' 100MHz bandwidth.

Regards,

Roger
Closed Thread