UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2021, 3:18 pm   #1
STUDERUSER
Diode

Default Sony VCR SLV-SE70 "A" code on display

Hello everyone!

I have a Sony SLV-SE70 VCR and the "A" sign has recently appeared on the display. In this case, the time display turns off. The power works, but if I want to reset the clock, I have to unplug the main plug and when the mains supply is reconnected, four bars appear on the display, which means that the clock is not set. Then I can manually set the clock via the menu visible on the TV. When I leave the menu and turn off the VCR, after a while (sometimes after a few days, sometimes after a few hours) the “A” reappears and the clock turns off.
At the time I owned this VCR (approx. 20 years), I replaced the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply twice, but never as a result of the symptom described. The reason was always a completely dead VCR, which came to life again after replacing the capacitors. This time all the features are working and I suspect there is no reason in the power supply.
Although I don’t actually use a VCR for watching video, I’ve gotten used to looking at VCR s clock a few times a day in 20 years, and I miss that. I know, a lot of people would say it's easier to buy a new digital clock for some $, but that's not the point. I still have a lot of VHS video tapes with recordings of my children when they were little and that is priceless. For now, I wouldn’t give up if there’s any option for a cheap repair, given that I can do it myself.
Maybe someone has encountered this problem? The list of "ERROR CODES" in the service instructions does not say anything about this.
I will be grateful for any advice.
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 10:22 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Sony VCR SLV-SE70 "A" code on display

It sounds like a clock button battery needs replacing.
Old 4th Feb 2021, 3:35 pm   #3
STUDERUSER
Diode

I can't locate any battery in schematic diagram, I'm afraid this VCR does't have it. But, maybe this "supercap" 0,22F 5,5V do that job?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Supercap - Sony SLV- SE70.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	225957  
Old 4th Feb 2021, 8:40 pm   #4
gallowfields
Hexode

yes thats the boy 0.22uf 5.5v ,it looks like a back up battery as well .
Old 5th Feb 2021, 2:45 pm   #5
STUDERUSER
Diode

I ordered two pieces from web store (due to corona crises all physical stores with electronic components are closed) and now have to wait. Yesterday I disassembled the VCR and figured out that it has"H" type supercap. When I will receive and replace it, i will report if mission is accomplished.
Old 5th Apr 2021, 6:20 pm   #6
STUDERUSER
Diode

Default Re: Sony VCR SLV-SE70 "A" code on display.

I received the ordered supercap and replaced it. It's been about 3 weeks now and it looks like the problem is solved. Code “A” no longer appeared, clock and VCR itself works fine and I hope it stays that way.For now, I can say mission accomplished.

I almost forgot: Thanks to TIMTAPE and GALLOWFIELDS for your tips!
Old 5th Apr 2021, 10:08 pm   #7
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowfields View Post
yes thats the boy 0.22uf 5.5v ,it looks like a back up battery as well .
I'm sure it's a typo but if it's a supercap it will be in Farads not microfarads.

Studeruser correctly identified it as such.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread