UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2009, 8:35 pm   #1
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

Default Knob lettering

Hi Guys
I have no idea if anyone has tried this before but I have had some success with the Bush AC41 Knobs.

The original lettering on the white knobs had all but gone, I have noticed on many sets the lettering is etched into the surface, so I tried a Staedtler Lumocolor pen (permanenet) with a very fine tip to try and revive them.
Prior to the ink drying I wet my finger slightly and rubbed the excess away then wiped with a soft cloth.
The pens are like the ones for writing on CD's or making your own pcb's.
Anyway I'm very pleased with the results, the photo speaks for itself really.

cheers Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush AC41 Knob lettering.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	26964  
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 9:27 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Knob lettering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Mender View Post
Hi Guys

'The pens are like the ones for writing on CD's or making your own pcb's.
Anyway I'm very pleased with the results, the photo speaks for itself really.'
Looks OK to me! I used a white furniture wax-stick (available from hardware shops) on the knobs on my Bush AC11 (brown knobs) a-la AVO knob filler to good effect.

Your method is likely quicker if you don't need white (or cream).

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread