UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2020, 2:41 pm   #1
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Apocalypse How, R4 - EMP pulse weapons

On listen again. A detailed, grounded account of the history of EMP attack threats from satellite-launched nuclear weapons .

I have to say at the outset that the programme is really up front about the way in which beliefs about EMP threat are aligned with bipartisan politics in the USA.

For all that, the programme traces what can be proven and the context in which some support a belief in an existential threat and others do not.

I enjoyed it and I hope some of you do.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 9:35 pm   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Apocalypse How, R4 - EMP pulse weapons

I found it interesting and enjoyable too, and I suppose "grounded" is appropriate in more ways than one. It's a subject that I had long suspected was subject to a great deal of hocus-pocus and speculation- after all, it has plenty of the right ingredients to excite the line-shooters out there. A friend of mine whose work involved acceptance testing of military equipment (and who was obviously subject to the OSA) was very guarded about saying anything but did let slip sufficient that EMP protection was something that involved considerable effort and expenditure but that "no-one can give a definitive answer as to whether it will work if/when things happen for real". I couldn't help thinking that a bit of well-placed scare-mongering did no harm to defence industry balance sheets- and that was considerably reinforced when that American guy who seemed to be a bit of an EMP-threat evangelist let the mask slip and got rather worked up at the thought that other informed researchers considered it to be something of a paper tiger. Worried about share prospects, methinks.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 9:53 pm   #3
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
I found it interesting and enjoyable too, and I suppose "grounded" is appropriate in more ways than one.
Haha! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
I couldn't help thinking that a bit of well-placed scare-mongering did no harm to defence industry balance sheets- and that was considerably reinforced when that American guy who seemed to be a bit of an EMP-threat evangelist let the mask slip and got rather worked up at the thought that other informed researchers considered it to be something of a paper tiger. Worried about share prospects, methinks.
Yes, that was a bit of a give-away!
Old 30th Nov 2020, 10:43 pm   #4
gingpeakin
Hexode

I look forward to the next one in the series tomorrow.

Ging
Closed Thread