UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jun 2013, 4:22 pm   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default RWB (Royal Wootton Bassett)

It took me ages to eventually work out that the RWB referred to in multiple threads is probably Royal Wooton Bassett.

I mention it as there must be others as daft as me who don't always pick up on acronyms and other short forms.

Colin M
Old 24th Jun 2013, 9:15 pm   #2
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: RWB (Royal Wotton Bassett)

Maybe start a thread to become a sticky with queries relating to regular events. I have had the same experience, wearying folk around B&B's, auction procedures, parking, etc. Nothing is ever obvious.
Tony
Old 25th Jun 2013, 9:20 am   #3
whyperion
Hexode

Thats interesting, are too many special interest groups ( of which I attend a few events in a year - not radio related though ) , missing out on and in the general promotion of the small towns in which their events are normally held , can organisers get promotional material assembled in advance - maybe with the aid of the local chamber of trade or tourist information office and would it be helpful if this was done ?
Old 25th Jun 2013, 10:14 am   #4
Cobaltblue

RWB and Harpenden are BVWS members meeting so the events are well publicised on the Forums and in the BVWS bulletins.

Curious members of the public have been invited into the RWB hall before ISTR but it was time consuming for the organisers.

These events are generally very busy so it would not be such a good idea to have general members of the public wandering around as sort of an alternative to the local museum.

Membership only events is one way of keeping out people that have been banned from membership, if it were a public event that might be impossible.

That's just my opinion I am in no way speaking on behalf of the BVWS membership as a whole.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 25th Jun 2013, 11:32 am   #5
Cobaltblue

On re reading these posts I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

There is already some tourist information inside the Hall at Harpenden ( or has been in the past).

Knowing where these events are surely its a matter of a Google search to find accommodation etc?

I know the organisers already work very hard just to get these events off the ground, I suspect they won't much appreciate trying to sort travel and accommodation as well.

To be honest these are usually long days for me especially Harpy so I never worry too much about other local attractions as its a 3.5 hr drive up from Exeter and usually a bit longer home.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 25th Jun 2013, 11:38 am   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

BVWS events are members only as a benefit of membership and for insurance purposes. If non-members could attend and buy individual bulletins from the BVWS stall there would be a lot less benefits of membership.

Members can bring one guest each (though guests cannot bid in the auctions), and there is no requirement for them to be related.

The NVCF and all Radiophile events are open to all, as are several other events around the country such as the Dunstable Downs boot sale and the Audiojumble.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 26th Jun 2013, 10:02 am   #7
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Just going back to the point of my original post.

I have been a BVWS member for some years and as such should know what RWB stands for, but in spite of that I didn't make the connection

I think acronyms and other short forms are fine when you are repeating yourself but for the sake of communication the full form should be used initially.

Colin M (NCBSW)

Nice Chap But Slow Witted.
Old 26th Jun 2013, 10:35 am   #8
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
I think acronyms and other short forms are fine when you are repeating yourself but for the sake of communication the full form should be used initially.
When I was doing C+G we used to get a right rollicking if we referred to 'PAL' instead of P-A-L or Phase Alternating Line.
Old 26th Jun 2013, 10:52 am   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I think the problem may be that the abbreviation RWB for Royal Wootton Bassett fairly rapidly became adopted generally within the forum after the "Royal" was added, given that the full name is a bit of a mouthful (and is a spelling nightmare anyway). Although it was used in full when first introduced, subsequent use without expansion can be a source of confusion to anyone who was not involved in its first use.

The problem is fairly generic in that many abbreviations/acronyms are commonly understood within a given group, but may not be as widely known as members of that group might think. Perhaps the answer is simply to ask about anything not recognised - you may not be the only person to whom a term is unfamiliar.

By the way, Mr Boom, what is "C+G"? That one has passed me by.
Old 26th Jun 2013, 10:54 am   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

City and Guilds?

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 26th Jun 2013, 11:03 am   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Passed my City and Guilds in 1974 to get my amateur radio licence.
Old 26th Jun 2013, 11:04 am   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

PS it was C & G not C+G.
Old 28th Jun 2013, 9:26 am   #13
Nymrod121
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
It took me ages to eventually work out that the RWB referred to in multiple threads is probably Royal Wooton Bassett.

I mention it as there must be others as daft as me who don't always pick up on acronyms and other short forms.

Colin M
As Simon Mason (ex-BBC Transmission, now Head of New Technology at Arqiva) once said to me:

" The abbreviation for Digital Audio Broadcast is D - A - B ... a 'dab' is a type of fish! "

I've always considered Unexplained Multiple-Letter Acronyms to be a PITB i.e. an irritation (especially those formed from other languages e.g. Latin etc.)

Last edited by Nymrod121; 28th Jun 2013 at 9:39 am. Reason: typos / include quote from Original Post (OP)
Old 28th Jun 2013, 9:52 am   #14
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

It is even more confusing when the same initials are used by different groups. I was very puzzled why London Transport were involved in our drawing office. Then a draughtsman explained that L.T.C. was our Local Technical Committee.

A.A. might also cause some thought, though context may help. As a boy I always thought it was - Anti Aircraft.
Old 1st Jul 2013, 12:59 pm   #15
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
PS it was C & G not C+G.
What about Cheltenham and Gloucester (Building Society as was). Possibly more people would associate that with C&G than City and Guilds.

Chris (ACGI) Boomalaka, anyone?
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread