UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2021, 6:55 am   #1
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Sticking panel meter remedy.

I had a sticking panel meter, tried everything to unstick it. On about the 56th time I had it apart I noticed a white deposit on the permanent magnet or center block of metal that the meter movement sits on,and spins around. After trying to scrape it off with a bent bit of ali I fell back on that stalwart of home remedy's - vinegar.

I dripped vinegar down the appropriate parts after loosening the grub screw about 1/4 turn that sets the height and tension of the meter coil cradle. I really didn't give this much chance of working after trying scores of other remedy's, but after blowing it out with compressed air, behold,the clouds part, a ray of sunshine streams down, the needle moves freely. With a silly grin on my mush and once again believing in the benign nature of The God of Elektrickery all was good.

Forgive the flowery prose, but it is good when you fix something after trying very hard previously. As this meter was one of a pair of identical meters, the alternative was searching for another two identical meters; rarer than hens teeth or costing loads of cash. BTW, I'd tried blowing it out with compressed air previously, numerous times.

Sorry no pics, no endoscope cam, Andy.
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 7:28 am   #2
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Re: Sticking panel meter remedy.

Excellent!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 8:11 am   #3
Kentode
Octode

Even if it doesn't work the first 55 times, a result is still a result!

Feel free to skip around the workshop.

BVWS member
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 8:20 am   #4
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Well done!
I had exactly same on one of those big American VU meters, it must be a calcium deposit gets lodged in there.
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 8:51 am   #5
Kentode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinradio View Post
Well done!
I had exactly same on one of those big American VU meters, it must be a calcium deposit gets lodged in there.
Which begs the question, how does it get there? Is it airborne moisture?

BVWS member
Old 6th Apr 2021, 11:41 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Quote:
I had exactly same on one of those big American VU meters, it must be a calcium deposit gets lodged in there
Yes, it did look like calcium or limescale being off white in colour. As to how it got in there that's a puzzler, a panel meter is a sealed unit.

Andy.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 3:05 pm   #7
Tractionist
Heptode

Any particular type of vinegar - white, distilled, non-brewed condiment? I've used lemon juice of battery corroded terminals before now ......

well done anyway - I love a 'result' !!