UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2019, 3:11 pm   #1
cathoderay57
Heptode

Default Wanted: Small HT choke

Hello folks, I'm repairing a Vidor CN350 radio and the HT choke is O/C. I will put a resistor in for the time being but thought it was worth posting a request in case anybody has a suitable replacement. See photo. The mounting holes are 2.5 inches (63mm) apart and it is 40mm tall. According to the Trader Sheet its dc resistance is 390 Ohms and the total HT is a shade over 60mA. Happy to pay a sensible price. Cheers, Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070880.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	186490  
Old 11th Jul 2019, 3:51 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Wanted: Small HT choke

Hi Jerry, I think there used to be an RS "min smoothing choke" available. It is quite a bit smaller than the normal chokes found in mains sets.

Ed
Old 11th Jul 2019, 5:19 pm   #3
cathoderay57
Heptode

Thanks Ed, I found some Hammond and Triad Magnetic chokes from a couple of suppliers that appear suitable; however, apart from a 50mA device which is too low-rated, they are all on back order with an inflated surcharge. I'll hang slack a few days and see if anybody comes up trumps. Cheers, Jerry
Old 11th Jul 2019, 9:05 pm   #4
cathoderay57
Heptode

I got the model number wrong - It's a CN359. I see another one is being worked on the Forum! Cheers, Jerry
Old 12th Jul 2019, 5:36 pm   #5
John_BS
Octode

Jerry:

The failure is often located at a lead-out joint, so it might be worth carfully cutting off the outer insulation to see if it's the end-termination (or last layer). Nothing to lose?

John
Old 13th Jul 2019, 2:14 pm   #6
cathoderay57
Heptode

Hi John, thanks for the tip. I carefully cut back the insulation and got to the point where the solder tag wires are joined to the ends of the coil. Unfortunately the joints are sound and so the problem must be somewhere inside the bobbin. Cheers, Jerry
Old 13th Jul 2019, 8:34 pm   #7
cathoderay57
Heptode

I've tested the radio with a 350R ceramic resistor in place of the choke. Hum level is virtually nil, and the radio works extremely well. I have also just bought a choke off eBay which should do the job but if not then I'll leave the resistor in situ. Mods please close this request. Cheers, Jerry
Closed Thread