UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 24th Dec 2017, 4:51 pm   #1541
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

What's our policy on meters condemned to be 'parts donors' ? I am assuming these units should be included to get as complete a historical picture as possible, but noted as 'broken'
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2017, 6:11 pm   #1542
Pamphonica
Nonode

Richard, edit done. All your entries have the correct name on now. Even though the summary page seems to still have a single entry from "Richard".
(I found I can edit the output spreadsheet and it remembers my edits.)
Old 24th Dec 2017, 9:03 pm   #1543
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
What's our policy on meters condemned to be 'parts donors' ? I am assuming these units should be included to get as complete a historical picture as possible, but noted as 'broken'
I think they ought to be included even if they're on the shelf as non workers, to be possible donors.
Old 24th Dec 2017, 11:03 pm   #1544
Sinewave
Octode

I'm starting to get mine listed together.

What does it mean when a serial number has on the date section 84/5/71? Does this mean unit 84 for may '71? This is on a Mk4 which preceding this has five digits for a serial number.

Edit: Think I've just realised, it means Model 8 Mark 4! As my mark 5's have 8V in the same place!
Old 14th Jan 2018, 11:33 am   #1545
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Our local sale room will be selling a Mecadie's patent AVOmeter in an Oak wooden box. I have only seen a picture so far, the two knobs have all the appearance of a Mk 7 or model D. The meter has the appearance of professional manufactured meter. There are several other meters made by Elliot and GEC all in wooden boxes. I'm sure a reader will know all about the AVO, hope so. Ted
ex 2 Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2018, 5:58 pm   #1546
Pamphonica
Nonode

If it's an "original", that's a fine meter.

Last edited by Pamphonica; 14th Jan 2018 at 6:04 pm.
Pamphonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2018, 3:24 pm   #1547
Sinewave
Octode

Question for you, on your Avometer log, how would one log an Avo which has lost its serial number sticker?

Still going through my collection and I have some 8 Mk5s which have either a missing sticker, or the sticker is present yet writing is no loger ledgable.
Old 17th Jan 2018, 4:24 pm   #1548
Pamphonica
Nonode

There is probably not a lot of point logging meters without any serial numbers. If some digits are still readable it would be worth logging them with serial numbers containing some "?"s. eg 123-2??5.
Old 21st Jan 2018, 11:16 am   #1549
ex 2 Base
Heptode

The Mecadie's patent AVOmeter which was sold at our local sale room yesterday made £140. I think the meter was made in or around 1923.Just though I'd let those who are interested in AVOs know for future reference. Ted
ex 2 Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2018, 12:16 pm   #1550
The Philpott
Dekatron

Thanks Ted. I resisted the temptation to get involved there, although those Model 1's are a thing of beauty.
Old 21st Jan 2018, 2:43 pm   #1551
Pamphonica
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Thanks Ted. I resisted the temptation to get involved there, although those Model 1's are a thing of beauty.
They are indeed....
For the record, I have noted its serial number -135965. Earlier than mine. If the new owner is on this forum it would be very nice to have some photos.
Old 21st Jan 2018, 6:55 pm   #1552
sortedradio
Heptode

AVO Model 40 MkII
S.No XXXXX-B-1164

AVO Model 7
S.No XXXXX-33457
sortedradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2018, 9:04 pm   #1553
pmmunro
Octode

Ex 2 Base, Jeremy,

I have to plead very guilty and thank Ex 2 Base for the tip. Of course I haven't got the meter yet since Scarborough is too far away to travel, but I'll post some photographs as soon as I can, although for various reasons this will not be until the latter part of February.

I've been looking for another "Original" for around 10 years and so it was great good fortune that this one happened to come up at a time when adequate funds were available.

Given the auctioneers estimate, I reckoned that this item would sell for considerably more if anyone who really knew its significance was interested. Otherwise it would have sold for about the same price as the contemporary instruments in the same sale of a similar appearance.

This has probably set a precedence for the value of these meters, but at least I can fairly claim that the next highest bidder considered it worth nearly as much. Had it been offered on eBay, it might well have gone to one of those mystery buyers who always seem to have comparatively unlimited funds for rare items.

It will be interesting to see its condition close up and to assess its accuracy.

PMM
pmmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2018, 9:56 pm   #1554
Pamphonica
Nonode

Well done, Peter, I am very glad indeed that it's gone to you of all people. You will treasure it as it deserves.

I did consider a hefty bid but mine is very nice, only lacking the lovely brass nameplate.
It will look fine beside your other one.

It's certainly the only one I have seen offered for sale in the last 10 years at least.
Old 21st Jan 2018, 10:01 pm   #1555
Pamphonica
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortedradio View Post
AVO Model 40 MkII
S.No XXXXX-B-1164

AVO Model 7
S.No XXXXX-33457
If you wish to add these Avos to the online database see posts 1530 and 1533.

Apologies to all, but I just do not have time to transcribe entries from here.
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 9:08 am   #1556
sortedradio
Heptode

Thanks Jeremy, will do. Sorry I had not seen those posts.
Martin
sortedradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 11:03 am   #1557
Pamphonica
Nonode

Mods,
I don't know if it's possible, but could the links to the online database (in threads 1530 and 1533) somehow be added to the first post in this thread, so all can find them?
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 8:57 pm   #1558
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmunro View Post
Ex 2 Base, Jeremy,

I have to plead very guilty and thank Ex 2 Base for the tip. Of course I haven't got the meter yet since Scarborough is too far away to travel, but I'll post some photographs as soon as I can, although for various reasons this will not be until the latter part of February.

I've been looking for another "Original" for around 10 years and so it was great good fortune that this one happened to come up at a time when adequate funds were available.

Given the auctioneers estimate, I reckoned that this item would sell for considerably more if anyone who really knew its significance was interested. Otherwise it would have sold for about the same price as the contemporary instruments in the same sale of a similar appearance.

This has probably set a precedence for the value of these meters, but at least I can fairly claim that the next highest bidder considered it worth nearly as much. Had it been offered on eBay, it might well have gone to one of those mystery buyers who always seem to have comparatively unlimited funds for rare items.

It will be interesting to see its condition close up and to assess its accuracy.

PMM
Well I'm very pleased you got it, it's good to know it's a forum member who now has this set. Well done, such a rare instrument.
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 7:38 pm   #1559
The Philpott
Dekatron

Hear, hear, that's a safe pair of hands then.

Pete, i too would be interested to know whether it still has any real accuracy. I have certainly encountered a newer one where the magnet had gone significantly 'off the boil'

Richard's Radios does not have any pics of the interior of a Model 1 so if you do end up removing cobwebs he would no doubt like to see the guts.

Dave
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 8:36 pm   #1560
Pamphonica
Nonode

I suggest we start a separate thread re the Avo "Original". This is getting a bit off topic.

(My Original is within about 1.5% by the way, and I have lots of internal photos of the restoration)