UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2018, 8:02 pm   #1
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

Default HMV room heater motor advice

I have just started my first ever restoration of one of these. The main issue seems to be that all the rubber has either solidified or liquidised. A major exercise to find something somewhere near similar.
It has had some work at some stage as the wire from the motor to the switches has been replaced. Few questions please:
1) The motor hasn't been oiled for years. Removal of the screw - visible assumed wick but about 4mm below the casing. Would you all advise just oiling with thin motor oil or should I explore the motor more thoroughly?
2) If I do need to take the motor apart - now or in the future - how to you do it?
3) Any suggestions about the uniquely shaped rubbers? I was thinking of a mix of rubber washers and shims to replace the mixed unimodular jobbies which are there now.
4) The base instructions are damaged - has anyone got a photo / scan?

As ever all help appreciated,
Kneale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	158178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	158179  
Old 26th Feb 2018, 11:16 pm   #2
jonnybear
Octode

Default Re: HMV room heater motor advice

If the motor is running smoothly just oil the wick with machine oil, I would not take it to pieces as you may damage the windings, the mounting rubbers are probably ordinary rubber grommets, which can be purchased on line or Maplins or the like shops.
john
Old 27th Feb 2018, 2:48 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV room heater motor advice

If the support-rubbers have ruened to mush, you may be able to replace them with something repurposed from washing-machines: a trip to your local (or not-so-local - the smaller ones tend to have closed...) domestic appliance repair-shop is in order.

Car-parts-suppliers may also be worth a try: in the past I've successfully replaced vibration-snubbers using the rubber 'mushrooms' intended for bonnet-rests on a current-generation Ford Transit.
Closed Thread