UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2011, 3:23 pm   #1
System A
Pentode

Default Last G8 model

Hi everyone i"ve been tidying my garage / workshop today and came across one of my G8"s . It looks like a mini G9 . The model is G22C566/09 . I powered it up and was rewarded with quite a good picture . It"s the pinger remote ( which i can"t find !) version . I"m sure it was the last model before production stopped for the new G11 range .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philips G8 046.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	51676   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips G8 041.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	51677   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips G8 043.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	51678  
Old 28th May 2011, 6:02 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Last G8 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by System A View Post
I"m sure it was the last model before production stopped for the new G11 range .
I think there was a later model but the number escapes me. There was a teletext version with a HUGE teletext board (two or three boards mounted one above the other) made by Texas Instruments. It was very crude by todays standards with only single page memory, non contiguous graphics and each page had to be entered (no 'next' or 'previous'). We all thought it was pretty amazing though when we were called to a sneak preview in the training room at Philips just before launch date. That was in 1976...35 years ago!! Doesn't time fly......

After the brief demo, we were set the task of modifying some existing sets with the teletext boards to fill a gap in the supplies from Holland. Only sets with the combined I.F/chroma panels were suitable.

Obviously the 'pinger' type remote was not suitable. A multi-button remote with a new Ultrasonic receiver board had to be fitted. I think that was one of the boards that made up the teletext 'stack'.

SB
Old 28th May 2011, 7:01 pm   #3
Tazman1966
Nonode

I've never seen that model before and yes it IS like a mini G9. Nice set although I'm most envious of your 20" version.
Old 28th May 2011, 10:17 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman1966 View Post
I've never seen that model before and yes it IS like a mini G9.
...bet it works a darned sight better than a G9 though !

SB
Old 28th May 2011, 11:10 pm   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Gary,
I cannot remember the model number of the set but I did have small number of them out on rental. That was from the autumn of 1976. It was in production up to the introduction of the G11 series.
Customers liked the style of the set.

DFWB.
Old 29th May 2011, 9:40 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

British Relay did have a couple of these out on rental before the G9, and very noce they were as well; better than the dreadful later G8 channel selectors.
Old 29th May 2011, 10:18 am   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It looks very similar to the Roberts RCT221 that I sold new in the shop of which I still have a very nice example. They certainly were a nice looking set and worked very well. The Roberts version had sliding doors and a nice stand. Very popular as retirement presents to long standing employees in companies. John
Old 29th May 2011, 1:09 pm   #8
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi Gary.
Clydesdale had a good few out on rental till the early 80's then they were upgraded. Customers quite liked them as did the field engineers due to easy panel swaps!
Old 29th May 2011, 1:12 pm   #9
Vectamart
Pentode

I remember we ujsed to be able to change channels on these by jangling a bunch of keys if we couldn't find the 'pinger'!
Old 29th May 2011, 9:03 pm   #10
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

We use had loads of these out on rental as well as selling loads wearing the Roberts badge with sliding doors. Great to work on and our customers loved them for their looks as well as good picture and sound quality
Old 29th May 2011, 9:09 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I remember that sort of remote and better than upsetting the cats with ultrasonic!

David
Old 29th May 2011, 10:48 pm   #12
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

A bunch of keys and somtimes a can of spray polish (not directly at the senors) would also change the channels
Old 30th May 2011, 10:57 am   #13
Red to black
Nonode

And Budgies/Canaries caused havoc with this system, as well as opening beer cans

Cheers,
Baz
Old 30th May 2011, 1:03 pm   #14
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Along with the 20" '560 these did fill the gap between the 22" G8 and the G11, the G9 being exclusively 26".
Unusually, the 560 was the first smaller screen set Philips made (and I don't count the 18" 570, for obvious reasons). It used rotary controls but looked smart and compact. Due to space limitations it could only use the combined IF/decoder panel. Still used the flappy channel selectrors, though! Mind you, quite a few were converted to use the touch tuning from dead G9s.
With the 566 it was always a relief to see what you thought was a G9 turn into a nice friendly G8...
Glyn
PS I can't wait to see some pictures of R2B's budgies opening beer cans!
Old 30th May 2011, 9:03 pm   #15
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

These sets were smart esp in white cabinets the only thing that let these sets down was the touch button unit and the convergence board the front mounted board in the 520 was much better
did not like the G9 or its pye equivalent the 731 at all, why could the uk not make a decent 110degree crt chassis
Old 31st May 2011, 2:59 pm   #16
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
The touch button unit was better than Mr Flappy, though!
Agreed about the 110-degree sets - most manufacturers imported them (Rank, ITT) or didn't bother (GEC, Decca). Neither the G9 nor the 731 (shudder) were all that inspiring.
Glyn
Old 19th May 2014, 8:19 pm   #17
MATTTT3222
Triode

I've a RCT221 with the sliding door cabinet.
Someone has asked if it's a G8 or G9 ?
I was certain it was a G8 I can't even remember working n any G9 s ,or what the difference between the two were?.
Old 19th May 2014, 8:40 pm   #18
bobbyball
Octode

It will be a G8.

The G8 was for 90 degree delta gun tubes whereas the G9 was for for 110 degree tubes and had different power supply, time base and convergence panels but used the combined IF/signals panel from the G8. The G9 was pretty short lived and only a few different models were released, all having 26" tubes.
Old 19th May 2014, 8:51 pm   #19
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The G9 employed the same combined chroma-tuner board as all later G8 models. The CRT was the quick warm up 110degree delta gun A66-410X. The timebase and thyristor power supply boards were completely different. G9 models were somewhat unreliable and most were scrapped long before the usual service life was over. I took deliveries of my G9 sets in the summer of 1976, the famous long hot summer.
Most G9 sets had the simple ultrasonic remote control system although there was a version which shared the same cabinet as the Philips 526 model. The CRT: http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_a66-410x.html Evidently according to the Radiomuseum the developer of the delta 110 degree CRT was Telefunken. I always believed it was Philips.

The last G8 model to remain production after the introduction of the G11 in 1977 was the compact 20" model.

DFWB.
Old 19th May 2014, 8:56 pm   #20
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Robert,
You pipped me to the post with your response and our answers to the question are very similar.

DFWB.
Closed Thread