UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jul 2010, 3:46 am   #1
john116
Pentode

Default JVC HR-2200 help

Hi - just wondering if anyone can give me some help on how to disassemble one of these portable VCR's?

I've got the top cover off, but am trying to get to the area under the cassette ass'y. Can't work out how the cassette holder ass'y comes apart.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
John
Old 6th Jul 2010, 12:59 pm   #2
mark2collection
Hexode

Default Re: JVC HR-2200 help

Hi.

From memory there are 4 tiddly little screws holding the cassette housing to the main deck, 1 at each corner of the housing. It's best to remove the cassette housing in the 'ejected' position. No need to remove the cassette door.

Last time I saw one of these was back in 1990!

Mark
Old 7th Jul 2010, 11:38 am   #3
john116
Pentode

Mark- thanks for that, got it out OK. I have another question. Did you ever come across them with a non-working counter - it's an LCD display. Mine stays at 0. Also, rewind/fast forward only operate for about 6 seconds before it goes into STOP mode. Play mode is fine.

John
Old 7th Jul 2010, 1:16 pm   #4
Red to black
Nonode

Hi,

Here is a a fault report from the TV mag, it is for the Ferguson 3V24 which is the equivalent model.:

#11 Ferguson 3V24

There can't be many of these portable machines still around.
The main problem with this one was the lamp, which we
replaced. The machine then powered up and accepted a
tape, but when play was selected the machine laced up then,
after a few seconds, shut down with all the lights on the
front panel strobing through. After this nothing would work
until the machine was powered down and restarted. The
cycle would then be repeated.
As the LCD counter wasn't working I checked for pulses
at the right-hand turntable sensor. They were o.k. here and
were also present at input pin 10 of the NJM2901M chip
IC5 on the front panel. This chip produced no output at pin
13 however. A replacement cured the problem. R.N.

The above may point you in the right direction.
Cheers,
Baz.
Ps. I only ever saw less than a handful of these machines, and even the ones I did see were in for Mechanical/lamp problems.
Old 7th Jul 2010, 3:10 pm   #5
neil29
Heptode

Hello all. ive got one of these machines. and on the odd occasion it did shutdown with the leds strobing. but for a while i could not get it to work, until one day when i thought to check the power switch on the front only to find it was no good. so now ive soldered a link accross it. heres a pic with the remote as well. cheers neil. ps the counter works too..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1085
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	37734  
Old 20th Sep 2010, 2:23 am   #6
john116
Pentode

Hi - so have the counter thing fixed, and now machine plays tapes really well.

Record doesn't work though. It erases the tape, but appears to record nothing (or at least nothing that resembles a picture) on the tape.

Any pointers on what to look for anyone? I know that's a broad question, but thought there might be a list of common faults around somewhere for this machine that I could start with.

John
Old 20th Sep 2010, 8:19 am   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
This chip produced no output at pin
13 however. A replacement cured the problem. R.N.
The past comes to haunt me!! That's from one of the VCR tips I sent in to Television all those years ago. Did I really know all that at the time??

SB
Old 24th Sep 2010, 11:51 pm   #8
john116
Pentode

Default Re: JVC HR-2200 fixed!

Hi - quick update. My HR-2200 is now fully functional. I had a spare one that I borrowed a board (Y-Amp) from, and swapped it for the original. Fixed the non-record problem. If I had more time (and more technical skills) it would have been nice to have tracked down the actual faulty component(s), but as is, I'm happy that it now works.

Some pics of it below: (External links now dead)

John
Old 31st Mar 2014, 9:15 am   #9
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Just been given one of these machines as a gift. It looks virtually unused but I can't work out how to power it up from the mains - is it possible? Also what bettery charger does it need? I do hope to at least try it.
Old 31st Mar 2014, 2:24 pm   #10
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Right, I have charged up the battery pack (which was fine) but the VCR is completely dead. Even with a tape in and power on I'm getting no action. I don't suppose this is a user error is it? I was hoping that it would work but it's never that easy is it.
Old 2nd Apr 2014, 12:14 pm   #11
IanNVJ35
Heptode

I understand that not many of these survive now due to age and it being an expensive unit when new (few sold). So what I will do is post here what I find and whether I can fix it. It may be of help in the future...

I opened the unit up. Signs of soldering around the power switch - someone had already attemped a repair. Found a blown internal fuse (2 Amp). Replaced it, still no power. Got all the boards out for inspection. Found almost all the 16V 47uF capacitors dried out and leaking. It will take time but I will replace them and see what I get. I have a feeling that the unit may just be too old and 30 years may be too long.
Old 18th Apr 2014, 9:43 pm   #12
IanNVJ35
Heptode

An update. Found the cause of no power - a PCB track cracked under the lacquer which was fixed. Now it powers up but runs continuously and a puff of smoke from the luma board before blowing the fuse again. I did find this near a large IC on the luma board - it's open circuit - is it a fuse? I was wondering if the machine was getting confused and running everything at once causing overheating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0230_2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	91745  
Old 18th Apr 2014, 9:58 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

It's a ceramic resonator, a bit like a crystal. It should measure o/c!

Nick.
Old 18th Apr 2014, 10:07 pm   #14
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thanks Nick - I was hoping it may be a fuse. I will report any progress.
Old 16th May 2014, 9:14 am   #15
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Just spending a bit of time with my early JVC portable and thought I would share the photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gc3fe673rk...515_210039.jpg is the top view

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p27msd0d6p...515_210204.jpg is the front view

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l07top72l4...515_210311.jpg is the controller.

Smoke comes briefly from one of the regulators to the right of the IC before the 2A fuse blows. Not sure exactly where at the moment as the board needs to be fitted to be powered up.

I know its impossible to know from a distance what is wrong but as everything seems to be running at once when power is applied I wondered if it was worth replacing the controller IC? Also anyone recognise the mechanism?
Old 16th May 2014, 5:34 pm   #16
ronbryan
Octode

Are any of the bead tantalum capacitors short circuit?

Ron
Old 16th May 2014, 9:18 pm   #17
john116
Pentode

Service manual here if you want to download it:
http://stkarchive.info/HR-2200EK.pdf
Old 18th May 2014, 12:44 am   #18
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Ron, only one tant on there - not shorted sadly. Thanks very much John - I have downloaded the manual and will go through it carefully - and report back what I find.
Old 19th May 2014, 7:19 pm   #19
8 Tracker
Hexode

I've just been given three of the Ferguson badged version and strangely, a JVC badged tuner. Videos all in various states of non-workingness. One just sat there with head and capstan motors running all the time. The second ones' front panel looked like a disco, random lights flashing, solenoids clunking in and out. The third had what looked like water damage to the bottom rear board. Amazingly, this is the one I have got working. To start with it wouldn't work for longer than about five minutes before something else would pack up. Most random faults solved by re-soldering the mech control board edge connectors. Had to de-solder first, then clean the copper track underneath and finally re-solder. Never seen so many bad joints on one PCB.
Then it wouldn't record. Traced this to a faulty IC on the water damaged board. Nicked one from one of the other machines. I nearly gave up and scrapped the lot, but this one seems to be fully working now. Glad I persevered. The other two? Well, we will see......

One annoying thing I noticed was that most of the circuit boards were slightly different in each machine, making board-swapping impossible.

Thanks for the link to the service manual. I have pasted a couple of the circuits together to make one complete image. They are included below.

Mark.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ferguson 3V24 chrominance circuit.pdf (856.5 KB, 182 views)
File Type: pdf Ferguson 3V24 servo circuit.pdf (648.4 KB, 169 views)
Old 19th May 2014, 7:58 pm   #20
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Mark, mine does what your first one does - but blows the two ampere fuse after a few seconds. Sounds like a common fault. Something tells me that even if I get it past the everything running at once stage it will have more issues to address.
Closed Thread