UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2019, 7:44 am   #1
BazzaBadger
Diode

Default Alba record player model 8070 getting very hot

Hi, I have just inherited a retro player from my uncle. I'm guessing it is either 60s or 70s.
It works great and sounds fantastic but it gets extremely hot under the controls panel.
Has anyone had experience of this?
My player pic is attached.
Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190513_165822.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	183366  
Old 21st May 2019, 3:42 pm   #2
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default Re: Alba record player model 8070 getting very hot

Hi and welcome to the forums.

You say that it's getting extremely hot, but it very much depends on how an individual person difines the heat as being extreme.

If it's hot to the touch, but you are able to bear your hand on it for a sustained period and there are no obvious or abnormal burning smells evident then I wouldn't worry too much.

Alba weren't a particularly expensive brand, so the components used were likely to be adequate to the requirements but some were on the breadline (mainly the mains transformers).

So your unit will get quite hot on long runs, having said that, I wouldn't expect it to be really hot within the first twenty minuites of use. Just keep an eye on it, as although it may be working well the capacitors in the amplifier are getting on a bit now, and may be a bit leaky, which inturn will draw more current.

Paul
Old 24th May 2019, 9:07 am   #3
BazzaBadger
Diode

Thanks Paul much appreciated.
It is possible to get spares for this?
Also from the photo, do you know if it's 1960 or 1970s?
Old 24th May 2019, 10:40 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This is from the early 1970s. Yes, you can get generic spares for this, although it may depend on what may finally be needed. If you plan to keep this, do get a better pair of speakers as those shown are definately the weakest link.
Old 24th May 2019, 7:31 pm   #5
ekjdm14
Banned

Most spares will be available in some shape or form yes, the more specific parts like IC's/power transformer etc may not be, but are unlikely to have failed & (in the case of the transformer) could be repaired if faulty. Agree those speakers are likely to let the side down, they look a little Amstrad-esque but certainly won't give you the best this little music centre has to offer.

If you travel close to Congleton at all I'd be happy to plug it in here & have a quick judge of whether the heat is anything to worry about or not, and possibly be able to offer a repair if needed too.

Cheers, Dan.
Old 24th May 2019, 8:41 pm   #6
slidertogrid
Octode

Normally on transistor equipment if the amplifier is in trouble and running too hot you would also see some other symptoms like distortion or hum.

It may be that the amp heatsink is just below the control panel, If it comes apart easily why not have a look what is under the control panel. I wouldn't expect the mains transformer to get above warm if everything is OK but the amp heatsink may well be fairly hot after a run.
Rich.
Closed Thread