UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2019, 6:26 pm   #1
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Ekco A320-A

Hi all, just finished a semi-productive day at the auction. I didn't get the Decca music centre I really wanted but I have at least come away with some goodies including the focus of this post, a c.1957 E.K. Cole Ekco A320-A.

On getting it home & looking closer inside it, I feel like it could be a low-hour set and to my untrained eye I don't spot anything that immediately jumps out as past repairs or reworks, all the valves are Mullard & it's covered in a thick layer of dust all over.

Just having a bite to eat and finding a schematic then will pull the chassis and have a closer look into it. Anyway, here's a few photos of my new toy for your viewing pleasure. If anyone knows more about Ekco products or has thoughts on whether it looks original/untouched inside. I'm almost certain it's not been "got at" so to speak so ought to be a decent project and I love the way it looks.

There was also an earlier Bakelite model with octal valves but I missed that, I prefer the looks of the wood cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	178876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0425.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	178877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	178878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	178879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0428.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	178880  

Old 22nd Feb 2019, 6:27 pm   #2
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Re: Ekco A320-A

Some more photos, thanks for looking & for any info on the set. Certainly could be a "wicked" sounding radio, just noticed it's serial number is 16666!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	178881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	178882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	178883   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	178884  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 6:46 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

It appears to be the AC version of the Ferranti U1003, they sound very good when sorted out.
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 6:50 pm   #4
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Service Information:
https://www.service-data.com/section.php/1974/1/a320
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 7:40 pm   #5
Viscount
Heptode

Hi, this is a picture of my Ekco 8320 radio, which I have just done extensive cabinet work. Lovely sounding set, sounds really nice
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Radio Feb 19.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	178892  
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 1:07 pm   #6
ekjdm14
Banned

Thanks for the replies, I have a copy of the Trader sheet for this I think but if not I'll get it from here to support the site. May even get the Mfr. service sheet anyway to have 2 sources to refer to.

So last night I pulled the chassis and gave everything a quick clean as it was full of dust, gave the o/c power switch a dose of Servisol and worked it on/off till it was working, checked the transformer for shorts and then, not having a variac, grabbed a couple of incandescent bulbs and brought it up on those.

They were only low wattage so didn't get enough power to see if anything but the dial lights worked (they do) & the filaments began to get slightly warm but I saw a definite dip in current draw after 15 seconds so I felt it safe to do a tentative full power-up (with a hand on the plug just in case). a few seconds later & it's pulling in a station on MW, then a pop from under the chassis so I pulled the plug, it was still recieving the station fine though as I killed power.

So I've confirmed that transformers/valves/tuner etc are at least functional to some degree, now to the restoration.

From initial investigation the cap that went bang is a TCC "picopack" 2uF/275v. There's also a few Dubilier electrolytics, a double 50uF can and a Hunt's that I believe I've heard called "black bombs" to definitely replace. (this and the TCC are in photo 4)

What I'm unsure of is the other Hunt's caps which are much more plentiful. (closer pics photo 5) Are these replace on sight items, or should I put these on the "to test" list? Also around the waveband selector some wax-covered flat rectangular caps. (not very clear but in photo 2)
I'll have to go over the schematic now but any advice on which of the caps apart from the electrolytics will be 100% get out of there items is appreciated.

(This is my first piece of valve equipment apart from a Fidelity record player using a UY85 and UL84, although I'm aware of the potential for high voltages and the fact that caps are liable to stay charged when powered down etc and have followed Shango066, Mr Carlson etc for a good while on youtube, but still I have zero practical experience of valve gear apart from replacing one wax cap and an audio output transformer on the Fidelity player).

Thanks, Dan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	178906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0438.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	178907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	178908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0440.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	178909   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0441.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	178910  

Last edited by ekjdm14; 23rd Feb 2019 at 1:25 pm.
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 2:21 pm   #7
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The white paper Huhts caps in photo #5 I would replace, you could change them one at a time depending on your confidence in your work.
If there is a capacitor across the mains I would change that as well with an X type, if the original goes bang it could damage the on/off switch.
Check the double 50uf for overheating, replace if it does. The electrolytic capacitor in the ratio detector circuit will likely require replacing especially if there is distortion on the VHF/FM band.

Edit, there may be one of those white paper Huhts caps in the FM tuner, if it’s faulty, very likely is, it will affect the performance of the VHF tuner.

Last edited by Nuvistor; 23rd Feb 2019 at 2:24 pm. Reason: Info about VHF tuner
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 2:27 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

The "Black Bombs" were Wimas (AKA Toffees). Those and Hunts and waxies are all just iterations of paper capacitors, and all have the same problem of leakage, just for different reasons. Chances are that all of them will be leaky to some extent.
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 2:40 pm   #9
Nuvistor
Dekatron

On the Trader sheet C50 and C52 are metal clad paper, both likely faulty and C52 could damage the EL84, output transformer and more if it is faulty.

It sounds like a lot of work but it’s straight forward and the chassis is easy to work on
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 8:50 pm   #10
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

The thin rectangular ones covered in wax should all be OK, and often values critical. Leave unless PROVEN guilty.
Les.
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 10:22 pm   #11
ekjdm14
Banned

Thank you for the replies, all much appreciated. Now you mention the VHF tuner, it was actually on VHF to begin with and it sounded "deaf" (not even much static) when initially powered on, so switched to MW after a few seconds.

I'll compile a shopping list of caps shortly then to include the electrolytics and the small Hunt's ones as well as the ones for my HMV 2214. C52 is "that" cap right? just had a very quick squizz at the trader sheet and it certainly looked to be on the grid of the output.

So far I've listed the values stated on the trader sheet for all the caps & how many of each, next is to work out what available values will be suitable.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 4:40 am   #12
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

FM will need an aerial to work. Often the FM RF amp and mixer valve, usually a xCC85 depending on the set, yours is probably an ECC85, go low emission.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 1:05 pm   #13
ekjdm14
Banned

Hi Sam, yes it's an ECC85. A valve tester is something I should add to my kit if I intend to get into valve equipment, will have to see how it performs after replacing the caps.

By the way, when in Cheshire do you moor up near the recycling yard in Middlewich? I had the misfortune to grow up around there and recall a guy named Sam who stayed down that way.
Closed Thread