UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2019, 2:49 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default VCR Audio / Video fade out

Hi i have a LG LV210 which doesnt work properly.

I insert a VHS, the loading mechanism works fine and the video plays with sound for about 5 seconds, then around 5 - 10 seconds later the video fades out with that infamous VHS static.

There is then a crinkly sound from a component in the loading mechanism (see attached)

I’ve cleaned it all, play heads and the loading pulleys etc and this made no difference.

Any idea how to sort this?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	176003  
Old 6th Jan 2019, 3:28 pm   #2
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: VCR Audio / Video fade out

Update - If i fast forward or rewind, the audio returns for a few seconds. The picture seems to last loger too, after giving the heads a longer clean.

Maybe that can help?

I’m stumped for ideas of what it could be.
Old 6th Jan 2019, 5:31 pm   #3
Clydeuk
Hexode

I don't know the machine but chances are it's either a worn pinch roller or excessive take up torque. You would need to fool the mechanism into operating without a tape in order to gauge what the take up torque is. They used to sell dummy cassettes that made it easy but you could make one from an old tape by removing the reels and covering the holes at the side that trigger the end sensors. You should be able to stall the take up reel fairly easily while in play mode.
Old 6th Jan 2019, 5:40 pm   #4
John123
Heptode

The picture is of the Audio/ Control head. Tape creasing and loss of picture is often attributed to the tape going slack and riding on the capstan, and is often a sign that the pinch roller has hardened up, so is no longer keeping the tape nice and taut across the heads.

Check the condition of the pinch roller to make sure it has not turned shiny. Worst-case scenario it can misshapen (turn concave), or even crack, but in most cases a good clean is all that's required.
Old 6th Jan 2019, 6:10 pm   #5
19Seventy7
Octode

It has indeed turned shiny. I tried to clean it with a cotton bud but no dirt came off. Is there any way to get it back to normal? I can try a clean with IPA when i get some.

Thanks
Old 6th Jan 2019, 6:59 pm   #6
John123
Heptode

Yes, a thorough clean with IPA is sometimes enough. There are products available such as 'Rubber Renue', but they are expensive and overkill for just one pinch roller.

Alternatively, you could try roughing-up the surface (evenly) with very fine emery paper or a nail file. The key is: Don't go overboard! You just want to lightly abrade the surface to remove the sheen, and then clean off any excess.
Old 6th Jan 2019, 8:29 pm   #7
Grubhead
Heptode

If you lift up the flap of the VHS cassette, and the tape has a crinkled edge that is a sign of a worn pinch roller too.
Old 6th Jan 2019, 8:34 pm   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

If it's only shiny, it can sometimes be restored. If it's hard and brittle as well, the roller should be replaced.
Old 6th Jan 2019, 9:32 pm   #9
19Seventy7
Octode

I think its hard and shiny, but not brittle. I should be getting something tomorrow to help clean it all up.

If it doesnt work, ill have to roughen it up.

Thanks
Old 6th Jan 2019, 11:12 pm   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

Ordinary household glycerine can work wonders with some types of synthetic rubber.
Old 7th Jan 2019, 7:18 pm   #11
19Seventy7
Octode

Okay, thank you, I'll give that a try too.

Thanks
Old 7th Jan 2019, 10:25 pm   #12
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
There is then a crinkly sound from a component in the loading mechanism (see attached)
Hi,
The item in your picture is the audio & control head (ACE head). At the very top edge of the tape is the audio track & at the very bottom edge is the control track. If the tape moves either up or down as it passes this head, both the audio & control tracks will not be read. Loss of the control track will cause the picture to degenerate into noise (snow).

The 'crinkly' sound will be the tape edge being damaged as it runs over the edge of the guide! This is almost always caused by the pinch roller becoming distorted (there are other causes). They tend to go either barrel shaped or trapezium shaped. Cleaning it will not have any effect and the only cure is replacement. Pinch rollers were a standard service item back in the day and it was expected that they would be replaced regularly.

If you watch the tape as it passes over the ACE head you will see it start to ride up or down the head. Picture search in forward or reverse will make the problem even worse.

A good pinch roller is critical for correct operation, but it is now getting very hard to find replacements. As I said, cleaning it won't help.

Video heads do NOT normally need cleaning. Occasionally, they will get clogged by tape debris, but will often clear themselves. Don't keep trying to clean them to try and cure this problem!

There is a useful overview of how the VHS system works on Wikipedia and that might help you understand how your machine is supposed to work.

Hope that helps,
All the best
Nick
Old 7th Jan 2019, 10:25 pm   #13
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh okay, I don't think the pinch roller has actually become distorted in shape, I'll check in a second after I've finished writing this, but I just had a quick search on a certain auction site, where there is one which looks to be the right size, yet again, ill check.

I wont clean the tape head again, but I thought it'd be a good starting point to fault finding.

Thanks

Last edited by 19Seventy7; 7th Jan 2019 at 10:32 pm.
Old 7th Jan 2019, 10:35 pm   #14
1100 man
Octode

Once they've gone out of shape, there is not much that you can do. It is a very critical component- even a small amount of distortion will cause havoc with the tape path.

If you remove the pinch roller and place a straight edge against it (like a steel rule) and hold it up to the light, any distortion will be obvious. It should be perfectly cylindrical in shape.

Cheers
Nick
Old 7th Jan 2019, 10:40 pm   #15
19Seventy7
Octode

Ill remove it now, when i figure how...

If i cannot find a replacement its practically written off, apart from the modulator side of it. Is there any suggestions of any “make do” replacements?

Thanks
Old 7th Jan 2019, 10:45 pm   #16
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
but I just had a quick search on a certain auction site, where there is one which looks to be the right size, yet again, ill check.
Have just looked on Ebay but can't see one specifically for that model. There is a tiny bearing inside the pinch roller so any replacement needs to have the same size bearing or it won't fit! You can't tell by a picture sadly.

Pinch rollers are now the hardest components to find to keep video recorders functional.

Cheers
Nick

Last edited by 1100 man; 7th Jan 2019 at 10:49 pm. Reason: extra text added
Old 7th Jan 2019, 10:48 pm   #17
19Seventy7
Octode

I know this sounds a bit stupid, but how do i remove the pinch roller? There is a little white plastic “stopper” but i cannot get it off.

Thanks
Old 7th Jan 2019, 11:08 pm   #18
1100 man
Octode

I knew you were going to ask that!! Some rollers are held with a screw down the centre and some with a plastic plug. Try turning the plastic plug one way and the other while exerting some upwards pressure. They are usually very tight. Grip the plug with your fingers and get your nails underneath the lip on the top- then rotate and pull upward at the same time.

Nick
Old 7th Jan 2019, 11:13 pm   #19
Clydeuk
Hexode

The original replacement part may well have come as an assembly including the arm the roller is mounted on. You may need to be creative. Maybe remove the assembly and some gentle heat from a hairdryer might help? Before doing that check it against a straight edge held up to the light. There is a chance trying to remove the plastic cap will destroy it.
Old 7th Jan 2019, 11:37 pm   #20
19Seventy7
Octode

I did think you would, to be honest. I did wonder about twisting the plug, and tried but had no luck and didnt want to go too hard incase i broke anything.

I got it off and put it against a flat bit of metal and there was no distortion at all.

The rubber has hardend and gone like plastic, hair dryer heat hasnt done anything. Could putting it in some boiling water help?

Thanks
Closed Thread