UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2019, 10:04 pm   #21
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Cleaning VCR heads

I never thought of pound land, I'll have a look there tomorrow as there is one 2 minutes away from me.

Thank you all for your help!
Old 8th Jan 2019, 2:13 am   #22
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
Would a new plastic bank note be okay?

I don't know if i'll be able to get chamois leather for a while, and im pretty desperate.
Why not get a pack of paper coffee filters, or aren't those available in the UK?

I used to use my handkerchief and that will work as well, as long as it isn't a fluffy one.
Old 8th Jan 2019, 8:54 am   #23
19Seventy7
Octode

I think we still have coffee filter’s (cant say i’ve ever looked out for any)
I haven’t seen any handkercheifs around for a while either, but i’ll keep an eye out

Could a microfibre cloth work? The type used to clean records? I have one of them which is lint free.

Thanks
Old 8th Jan 2019, 12:09 pm   #24
simpsons
Octode

Throwing ideas up in the air for brain storming advertising slogans is one thing, doing the same for cleaning video heads, as with other well known electronic repair issues, is foolhardy.

There is plenty of technical information on how video heads are made and how to clean them.

The heads are brittle, have a very small air gap between the ferrite poles and most importantly get cleaned automatically when playing video cassettes until they begin to wear or are contaminated by playing some tapes.

When they wear, they accumulate oxide from the tape which head cleaners, which were sold by various manufacturers, were designed to deal with.

These fell into two types. Dry and wet cleaners. The dry type were universally rejected as they were said to be too abrasive. The wet types relyed on iso alcohol to act as the contamination dissolving agent. Solvents such as used in ink jet head cleaners are just as effective.

The warnings when cleaning ink jets also apply to video heads for guess what, the same reasons, micro spaces get clogged with fibres from cotton hankerchiefs, micro cloths etc.

Using "Ink jet" paper is ideal. It is designed not to shed fibre when passing a micro printing head.

Follow the link earlier shown by a BVWS Member which illustrates how to wet it with solvent, hold agains the drum and rotate it several times and continue until clean.

Suggesting using a finger nail or a bottle of 50% proof gin or vodka is just taking the mickey.
Old 8th Jan 2019, 12:46 pm   #25
Maarten
Dekatron

Other than 'proven to work' methods shouldn't be used on something that isn't manufactured new anymore or that you aren't ready to replace. While cotton handkerchiefs have proven useful, the fibre size and physical placement of fibres in a microfibre cloth are very different. I wouldn't go near a head with those, even if some variants are better suited than others.

Where simpsons seems highly sceptical on handkerchiefs, I am so on the story behind inkjet paper, but in reality they are probably both good enough. Chamois leather or filter paper are probably better.
Old 8th Jan 2019, 1:20 pm   #26
ben
Dekatron

Another vote here for a business card/paper and drop of IPA.

I would also suggest paying close attention to the rest of the drum/air gaps, and the lower drum. Then all the fixed parts of the tape path - erase head, backtension pole, impedance roller, roller guides and poles, A/C head, half load arm....Any leftover dirt will quickly spread itself back onto the heads!
Old 8th Jan 2019, 6:21 pm   #27
19Seventy7
Octode

Thanks for all your replies, I will avoid using cloth then, just to be safe.

Using cloth/cotton buds will be okay for the tape path, shouldn't it? I've read that other people do - I know that what other people do isn't always the best, so I just want to make sure again.

I should hopefully be able to go to a hardware shop in a little while, so i'll grab some IPA, chamois leather, if possible.

Are the wet tape cleaners any good? I've read good and bad about them - i'd use it just for minor issues, and not often.

Thanks
Old 8th Jan 2019, 6:37 pm   #28
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Wet tape cleaner? No way!
Old 8th Jan 2019, 7:11 pm   #29
mark pirate
Dekatron

Just use a piece of plain paper soaked with IPA, NEVER use cleaning tapes
It is quite safe to use cotton buds to clean the control/audio heads, tape path & idler wheel.

On newer machines it is advisable to remove the auto head cleaner, as these are so contaminated they just put the dirt back on the head!
Some are a type of foam sponge that can deteriorate badly and damage the heads.

Mark
Old 8th Jan 2019, 8:25 pm   #30
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Hi InsertNameHere
In the other thread about this machine you indicated that it was capable of showing a good picture from a pre-recorded tape, albeit intermittently and briefly.

This indicates (to me at least) that the video heads are clean! Cleaning them further won't improve matters and you risk damaging them.

For the avoidance of any doubt, the video heads are located in the tiny rectangular holes in the lower edge of the upper drum assembly.
Have you cleaned the upper and lower drum assembles? This is a critical part of the tape path. Tape oxide and airborne contaminants like tobacco tar can significantly increase tape/head friction. Do so with a tissue moistened in IPA and actively avoid the heads themselves. Pay particular attention to the groove in the lower drum upon which the lower edge of the tape sits.

Perhaps the problem is the pinch-roller as suggested earlier, but make sure the capstan is scrupulously clean too.

You seem to be enjoying your new hobby, and learning about stuff, even if things don't get fixed easily. You wouldn't learn half as much if they did.
Old 8th Jan 2019, 8:51 pm   #31
19Seventy7
Octode

I'll stay away from tape cleaners then, I was dubious about them.

I don't think I have an auto head cleaner, I'll check when I open it up next.
I did think cotton buds were okay other than on the heads.

Thanks
Old 8th Jan 2019, 9:00 pm   #32
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Hi InsertNameHere
In the other thread about this machine you indicated that it was capable of showing a good picture from a pre-recorded tape, albeit intermittently and briefly.

This indicates (to me at least) that the video heads are clean! Cleaning them further won't improve matters and you risk damaging them.

For the avoidance of any doubt, the video heads are located in the tiny rectangular holes in the lower edge of the upper drum assembly.
Have you cleaned the upper and lower drum assembles? This is a critical part of the tape path. Tape oxide and airborne contaminants like tobacco tar can significantly increase tape/head friction. Do so with a tissue moistened in IPA and actively avoid the heads themselves. Pay particular attention to the groove in the lower drum upon which the lower edge of the tape sits.

Perhaps the problem is the pinch-roller as suggested earlier, but make sure the capstan is scrupulously clean too.

You seem to be enjoying your new hobby, and learning about stuff, even if things don't get fixed easily. You wouldn't learn half as much if they did.
Sorry I didn't reply to you in my previous reply, I didn't see it at the time.

I haven't cleaned any part of the drum really, only just above the heads where I saw some dirt, I didn't realise it'd need it elsewhere.

I'll give the tape path etc another clean again, as I have just got some IPA.

I do enjoy this new hobby and learning about it - I love it! As you say, I wouldn't learn quite as much, and the majority of tech I have, was bought in a spares or repairs condition to have an excuse to work on something - I don't think I'd be as interested and knowledgeable if they did all work properly - where's the fun in that?

Thanks
Old 8th Jan 2019, 9:56 pm   #33
19Seventy7
Octode

Just an update:

The VCR now works after a good clean up of the drum ledges and tape path - Thank you rambo1152 for that heads up.

Thank you all for your help! It's really appreciated!
Closed Thread