UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2018, 8:29 pm   #1
rockinmark
Heptode

Default Black and white tv to colour

Hi someone sent me this today I know nouthing about it never seen it before does anyone else used or seen one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_202329.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	160263  
Old 31st Mar 2018, 8:39 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Black and white tv to colour

There was a brief fad for such things in the early-1950s. I guess they were the logical follow-on from the paraffin-filled "magnifiers" you hung in front of your TV to make the picture look bigger.

The colour gradations were supposedly because you tended to have green grass on the ground and the sky was usually blue - I guess these 'colorizers' assumed you never watched studio scenes or anything televized indoors!

See also http://earlytelevision.org/color_filter.html

Amusing that it says "Color by Eastmon" - this is clearly a rip-off of the "Color by Eastman" and "Eastmancolor" tags which appeared on the intro to loads of 1950s/60s movies, "Eastman" being a division of Kodak.
Old 31st Mar 2018, 10:29 pm   #3
slidertogrid
Octode

There was an old episode of Coronation street featuring one of these, Hilda's lodger Eddie Yates bought one but Hilda was having none of it!
Later on she got a Proper colour TV. A Gec I think and was very proud of it!
There was an episode of On the Buses where the main plot centres around getting a new Colour telly and stitching Blakey up with the old clapped out black and white set. I suppose it was a subliminal way of advertising to the masses.. if the likes of Butler and the Ogdens have a colour telly you are lagging behind if you haven't got one yet.
A lot of the programmes were made by Granada, who of course rented colour tellies...

Rich.
Old 31st Mar 2018, 11:47 pm   #4
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I remember that funny scene in Coronation Street, Hilda and Stan Ogden, and Eddie Yates, great characters!

The On the Buses scene with the TV that was to be sold to Blakey, I believe Jack was meddling with the voltage dropper taps so that it was set for a lower mains voltage so the set was effectively over driven to produce a higher HT and valve heater voltages in an attempt to produce a brighter picture from the clapped out CRT. Quite funny, poor old Blakey!

Regards
Symon
Old 1st Apr 2018, 5:48 am   #5
Focus Diode
Octode

Hilda's GEC colour set, appearing to be a cable variation of the 2028 or early single std. version was in 1971. It was quickly reprocessed. The scene where Eddie Yeates buys the Ogdens
a colour filter was in early 1978!

The set in the latter looked like a Granada rental variant of a Thorn 1400.
Old 1st Apr 2018, 9:41 am   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

At that time the TV distribution system around the Quay St site was a multi-pair system similar to Rediffusion, but branded Top Rank. The place was full of Rediffusion Doric sets that I looked after. It was replaced with a UHF system in the mid 80s
Old 1st Apr 2018, 9:45 am   #7
thermionic
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
...A lot of the programmes were made by Granada, who of course rented colour tellies...
On the Buses was produced by London Weekend...
Old 1st Apr 2018, 10:25 am   #8
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
There was an old episode of Coronation street featuring one of these, Hilda's lodger Eddie Yates bought one but Hilda was having none of it!
And here it is!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6w1b1XLrqs

The Ogdens get a colour tv (sort of) 1978
Old 1st Apr 2018, 10:34 am   #9
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Well done finding that, don't they look young! I remember those 'filters' in the '50s.

Peter
Old 1st Apr 2018, 11:02 am   #10
malvision
Pentode

And here is on the buses episode The new telly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u81BFMr1qFk&t=1292s
Old 1st Apr 2018, 1:18 pm   #11
electronicskip
Nonode

The question is..... Would you need to buy a Colour TV Licence?
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 6:30 am   #12
Focus Diode
Octode

The Coronation Street episode is included on the Network 1970-1979 compilation box set. The TV (or at least another model of it) was seen in some other episodes. The badge is the old style compass N point Granada logo used on their programmes upto mid 1968.

Unfortunately the episode where Hilda's proudly admiring the Granada Test Card F on the 19" GEC is not included. We get to see the episode where it's first delivered and the one where it's reprocessed.

The Rediffusion set is exactly the same as the model used by relatives in the Walker area of Newcastle upon Tyne until replaced by a Mk1 colour cable model. The service closed down in the early '80s with aerials all looking down to Bilsdale sprouting up.

This suggests reception from Burnhope and Pontop Pike must've been difficult there.

The same set also appears in some late 1960s Thames tv productions including "Public Eye" and an episode from the first series of "Special Branch". Both made an surviving on 2" Quad B&W VT.
Closed Thread