UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2016, 6:47 pm   #1
Kranky Cat
Retired Dormant Member

Default Roberts R505 tuning query

Hello,

I have Roberts R505 that has a strange issue. (It has had this issue as far back as we can remember, so it might have been like this from new).

It's quite hard to describe but here goes: On VHF, when tuning, each station takes up a lot of space before the radio tunes past the station and back to free air, this is happening much more than I've had with any other radio, the major downside of this is it's very difficult to find when it's tuned in correctly - and if the station hasn't been tuned spot-on, it will soon drift off tune. It's a bit like AFC on other radios, as the radio clings on to a station, but it's actually a nuisance to use.

I've only used Japanese radios and modern Roberts radios to compare this to.

Should it do this, and could you suggest where to look if it sounds like a fault?
Old 1st Jan 2017, 11:38 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts R505 tuning query

Some people would regards this as a good thing - a kind of band-spreading. It does allow for very accurate tuning to reach the RF peak.
Old 1st Jan 2017, 1:34 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The set does have AFC, sets from the 70's did tend to have quite a large 'pull in' range, there were a lot less stations with more space between them on the dial then.
I would be surprised if it was a fault, I cannot find a on/off switch for AFC, another feature of some sets in the 70's.
If you tune across the station, notice the travel of the pointer between hearing the station and losing it, put the pointer in the middle of that range, it should be near enough as long as it is not distorted.
Frank
Old 1st Jan 2017, 8:06 pm   #4
Kranky Cat
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Edward,

Thank you for your advice.
Philip
Old 1st Jan 2017, 8:12 pm   #5
Kranky Cat
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Frank,
I didn't know the R505 had AFC - it's just working in a different way than I'm used to. There's certainly a lot of stations available round this way to clutter the tuning band. (North Hertfordshire).
The radio still has all its dial pointers so I will try your tuning tip!
Thank you.
Philip
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 12:59 am   #6
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I prefer a radio with switched AFC, but I recall at some stage (in the '70's I think) when "Automatic AFC" became flavour of the month. It sounds like that is what your R505 has (assuming no AFC On/Off switch).
Les.
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 10:57 am   #7
ukcol
Rest in Peace

From the electronic point of view it would be very easy to add an AFC defeat switch between pin 8 of the VHF tuner and chassis. The problem arises with how to do it so that the user has easy access to the switch without hacking the cabinet about.
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 11:02 am   #8
Goldieoldie
Octode

You could try reducing the sensitivity while tuning by reducing the length of the telescopic aerial .That might help by the afc having less to hang on to
Cheers Pete
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 11:06 am   #9
Nuvistor
Dekatron

With the pull in range and no defeat switch, these 70's radios can be difficult to tune a weak station that is close to a strong one, not really a major problem then but probably more so now.

Fitting a switch that looks good is not something I could do, the electrical side is easy, the cabinet mods not so.

Frank
Closed Thread