UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2016, 11:01 am   #1
WoesOfTheBeta
Retired Dormant Member

Exclamation Problem loading tapes with Sanyo VTC-9300PN

Hello! I've come across your forum in the hopes that you could help me with a problem.

I've unearthed a PAL version of the VTC-9300PN and was trying (hopefully) to digitally convert some Beta tapes. Instead when I insert any tape into the unit it fails to load properly and results in a continuous clicking sound (video here). I imagine its a problem with a dodgy belt as they're usually the first things to fail, espically in a near 30+ year old machine.

Help of any kind would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Old 2nd Dec 2016, 8:51 pm   #2
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Re: Problem loading tapes with Sanyo VTC-9300PN

First port of call for an old machine like this is the belts and idler. I'm pretty sure you can get them on eBay. If you're competent at replacing them then fire on. But don't go using any of your good tapes on the trial runs.

Good luck
Old 2nd Dec 2016, 11:55 pm   #3
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hi. Open up the bottom cover, open up the big W2 circuit board (it's held in hinges for ease of service) and check:
1. Capstan belt (picture 1)
2. Loading/unloading tyre of capstan flywheel (picture 2)

Regards

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 00.53.29.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	133740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 00.53.43.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	133741  

Last edited by dj_fivos_sak; 3rd Dec 2016 at 12:01 am.
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 12:35 am   #4
John123
Heptode

Tip: Stretch a normal rubber band over the top of the existing belt(s). Often that's enough to get the machine working until you can source the proper replacements.
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 1:13 am   #5
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John123 View Post
Tip: Stretch a normal rubber band over the top of the existing belt(s). Often that's enough to get the machine working until you can source the proper replacements.
It will work but there will be a lot of wow and flutter since there's no capstan servo control on this machine.
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 2:32 am   #6
WoesOfTheBeta
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the tips! I'll open the bottom cover as soon as I can and report back. This restoration is a bit special since a lot of these tapes were recorded by my late grandparents Betacam. Unfortunately that's out of action as well as the service light turns on.
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 10:58 am   #7
simpsons
Octode

The Sanyo 9300 belts are still available through SWL Electronics Epsom, Surrey KT19 0DT. Tel 0208 393 7774 Contact Malik Baround. They are advertised on eBay.uk which you can access via your eBay.au account as follows:

Search the UK site and open the advert. You will not be able to save it to your watch list because the uk site won't let you but, hey presto, it will be seen amongst recently viewed items on your eBay.au account. You can then click on the item and order it and if necessary, contact the supplier for postage rates if not shown.

Lastly, in my experience, the Sanyo 9300 isn't the best at squeezing out the best from Betamax recordings and slight adjustment to the "expansion" pot will help.

Best of luck

Chris nee Simpsons
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 2:52 pm   #8
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post
Lastly, in my experience, the Sanyo 9300 isn't the best at squeezing out the best from Betamax recordings and slight adjustment to the "expansion" pot will help.
Agreed. I have a VTC 9350 and the picture quality is the worst I've seen on a Betamax but you can't expect much from a low end machine from 1978. You can always tweak the AFC if the colour is unstable.

Fivos
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 5:51 pm   #9
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

As said above, If you're looking for decent picture and sound You would be better sourcing a decent Sony or a vtc-5150 rather than going to any trouble repairing the one you have, youl find yourself a bit disappointed at the end of your troubles.
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 6:12 pm   #10
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

The VTC 53xx and 54xx have a better quality than the 5xxx and 51xx models. I have compared my 5000 with my 5350 and the 5350 gave a little better results.
Old 4th Dec 2016, 6:15 am   #11
WoesOfTheBeta
Retired Dormant Member

Well, I've take off the bottom and have both good and bad news.

The Good: You can playback a tape by manually turning the head to load them. I replaced one of the belts with an elastic band.
The Bad: Unfortunately some of these tapes are stuffed, being that they were stashed in a closet in a seaside town. There's one good one so far (which is the most important one to convert, thank god), but the others I'm not so sure if they can hold up.

Anyway, you've all been a great help and I've only got one more question. I've identified that the BNC video-out can be converted to a composite signal, but what of the audio out? I can't identify the type of plug it is or if it can be converted to a mono RCA plug. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Old 4th Dec 2016, 1:07 pm   #12
julie_m
Dekatron

The audio in / out on these machines is just a standard 5-pin DIN connector. Pins 3 and 5 are both "out", 1 and 4 are both "in" and pin 2 is the common.
Old 4th Dec 2016, 3:58 pm   #13
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Video in/out: PL-259 (Aka UHF connector)
Audio in/out: 5-pin DIN

Good luck.
Old 5th Dec 2016, 12:41 pm   #14
WoesOfTheBeta
Retired Dormant Member

Just soldered a DIN to a pair of RCA plugs, so now the sound is working alongside the BNC to RCA plug. Again I have to thank all of you here, I probably never would have gotten so far without your help. But, I do have two more questions.

I'm looking for a good composite to USB recorder to digitise the tapes, and I was wondering if there is a specific model you could recommend. It would be a BIG plus if it could support Linux OOTB, so I could just convert using VLC, ffmpeg or through other programs.

Secondly, I've noticed that when you turn the Sanyo completely off and on again, the picture will track fine unless you remove and insert 3 or more tapes. By then the picture goes completely nuts and only comes good by turning it off again. So instead of the tapes playing up (like I stated before) it seems it is just the player.
My question is this: Will this problem creep up when digitally converting over long periods of time, or should I be fine to just let it play?
Old 5th Dec 2016, 1:54 pm   #15
Nicklyons2
Octode

Really I'd look for a better machine, somewhere on your local 'freecycle type' website or e-bay there will be someone with a decent machine. As said above the smaller, lighter VTC 5000 series are much more reliable and better picture quality OR a Sony machine but I'd stick to their front loaders and make sure it's a 'go-er' before parting with any significant money. I'm not trying to be unhelpful but, honestly, the 9300 was a really rubbish machine even in its day.
If the material on the tapes is important it's worth getting it right - it may be the last chance you'll get to save them.
Old 5th Dec 2016, 6:49 pm   #16
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

If you plan on getting a Sony, Avoid the 710 chassis machines (C5-C8) and look for a decent 711 chassis front loading. The older machines are harder to work on and are much heavier and most of them have servo capacitor problems.
Closed Thread