UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2016, 10:13 am   #1
sexton_mallard
Heptode

Default Marconiphone 4816

I picked up a nice little 12 inch Marconiphone 4816 at Golborne mainly as a reminder of a childhood memory. It powers up fine with a nice bright picture. The tuner push-buttons will not latch but I get a reasonable picture from my RF modulator when holding a button in. I will try the repair I have seen elsewhere on this forum on other Thorn sets.

I see at least 1 component on the main board that looks like a black Callins cap. Are there any potential stock faults to be aware of or mods I should carry out while I have the back off fixiing the tuner? Thanks in advance as always.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3288(1).jpg
Views:	333
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	124202   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3289.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	124203  

Less snakes...more ladders!

Last edited by sexton_mallard; 8th May 2016 at 10:19 am.
Old 8th May 2016, 11:47 am   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Marconiphone 4816

Hi These are great little sets. It wasn't unusual to see them slogging on for 20 years or so.
While you have the tuner out I would remove clean and re-tension slightly the tuning vanes earth springs. They are often covered in a brown grease that causes poor connection.
You need a fairly big iron to release them from the tuner body.
I would check that there isn't a capacitor on the DC side of the EHT rectifier it was only fitted to early models and the 14" version I think. It goes short and can damage the stick and lopt.
I have a poor unfortunate example in the loft somewhere that has had mains put up it's 12V socket... I haven't looked inside it, apparently it went pop...!
Rich.
Old 8th May 2016, 5:04 pm   #3
KeithsTV
Nonode

I have the Ferguson version of this set, bought new in 1976, which is still going. I feed it from the RF output of a PVR box. I haven't have many problems with it, a dry joint on one of the rectifier diodes being one that I remember. I also have the service manual for it and there was an Les Lawry Johns service article which I also have. I posted them here.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=35588

Keith
Old 10th May 2016, 6:59 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

One item needs to be checked to maintain reliable operation.
Many 1590/91 series were destroyed due to the L.T. rail rising over a long period. By the time the customer notices the hum bars on the picture due to the voltage rising to over 15V, the CRT has been overrun to the point that it will no longer give a reasonable picture at it's correct 11.5V.
The cause of all this mayhem is simply the 220 ohm LT adjust pot rising to over 2K. I used to replace this on site with a high quality ceramic type that would not fail in this disastrous way. Well worth a check. Adjust for a fraction under 12v on the test point. John.
Old 10th May 2016, 7:43 pm   #5
Restoration73
Nonode

Severe DC ripple is often caused by the 4700uF smoother; when I repaired a new one
in 1972 it was down to defective rivets on the capacitor.
Poor tuning reset is down to the soldered joints at each end of the tuning bar. I
recommend the use of 40/60 high melting point solder and a large iron here.
Old 10th May 2016, 8:01 pm   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The 1590 chassis was introduced late 1972 and I was selling the Marconi and Alba versions in 1973. One the earliest faults encountered was failure of the two diodes in the full wave rectifier, the original diodes were not up to the job.
Fortunately, 3amp diodes of the 1N5401 type were becoming readily available.
The set supply volts control is a dodgy thing and should be always checked whenever one of these sets comes in for servicing. Apart from these simple to fix faults these are absolutely suburb little sets. After forty years those lockfit transistors might start to be giving trouble.
There's a Marconi 4816 upstairs, if any forum member fancies it I can take it with me down to Mikey's bash on Saturday.

DFWB.
Old 10th May 2016, 10:54 pm   #7
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
these are absolutely suburb little sets.
Hi.

Agreed, I repaired quite a few of these sets back in the 1980's and always found them to be easy to repair. The early ones had germanium series regulator and line output transistors, both were eventually replaced with silicon devices.
Thanks for the tip on the Set output volts preset, I had forgotten about that problem. I too have one in the loft which I must get up and running again. I picked up another one from our local car boot sale for only £3 but it's CRT was badly scratched. I stripped it for spares and the tuner knobs and aluminium caps were a perfect match for my little 17" Marconiphone (BRC 1500 chassis).
My only gripe on the 1590 is the cabinet back has the mains lead passing through it so the mains plug has to be removed if you don't want the back cover on the bench or generally in the way when servicing.
I seem to remember the LOPTx is quite reliable not like the later 1690. Also on the 1590, the e.h.t. stick rectifier is easily replaceable. Great little sets, easy to work on, fairly compact and not too heavy to move around and they produce quite a decent picture.

Regards
Symon.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:08 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Don't forget the 14" versions of this chassis. Marketed as an Alba in a maroon cabinet and also as HMV and Ultra in different presentations. All have the same cabinet shape. There was a posh HMV model in a wooden cabinet, looked like a miniature table set.

DFWB.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:21 pm   #9
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

Yes, the 14" version uses the 1591 chassis. I didn't come across too many of these. There must have been many more 1590 sets in circulation compared to the 1591 sets.

Regards
Symon.
Old 11th May 2016, 2:34 pm   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The main problem with the pretty 14" was the poor tube which didn't last long. As long as the HT was OK the 12" tubes lasted forever, only failing when some ham-fisted loon (hello!) broke the neck.
Glyn
Old 11th May 2016, 7:35 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I'm surprised at your experience with the 14" tube Glyn. I found them just as good as the smaller 12" version except of course when the LT pot plays up!
Unlike the 20" versions of the Philips KT3 that went flat in 12 months.
Pictures here of the Ultra 6818, very stylish, Teddy Rosen would have been delighted.
The other picture could be a 1500 at first glance but is in fact the HMV version in the wooden cabinet. Now this is style! This example in my collection is the only one I have ever seen and I must have serviced hundreds of 1590/91 chassis and the valve version [ Yes there was a mains only valve version of the 12" 3816 the 3805] Good old Thorn. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Thorn (2).jpg
Views:	214
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	124361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thorn (1).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	124362  
Old 11th May 2016, 8:06 pm   #12
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi John,
Customers loved the woodie HMV 1591, does model 2841 sound right?
Worth remembering the almost identical cabinet of the 12" models 4816 and the white Ultra 6816 was first used in the valve Ferguson 3805 which was made in 1971. Called the Ferguson Courier, is that right?

DFWB.
Old 10th Dec 2016, 7:13 pm   #13
sexton_mallard
Heptode

I finally found some time to sort out the tuner that had the seemingly common problem affecting Thorn tuners with broken plastic pieces on each of the push button rods. After looking at some other repairs on this forum, I used some No.10 cup washers – the type used for countersunk screws set into a flat surface. Not pretty, but does the job. The selector was cleaned, reassembled and treated to a drop of oil before being replaced onto the tuner unit. It now has a nice 'clickety clack' tactile feeling again.

A check of the supply voltage showed it to be at 9.7v. Now tweaked up to 11.5v and measured again after a couple of hours, the set produces a nice bright picture. Now to enjoy this little telly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_3495.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	134153   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3510.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	134154  

Less snakes...more ladders!
Closed Thread