UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2007, 4:24 pm   #1
rico2_uk
Retired Dormant Member

Question RF Interference from low-voltage lamps.

I wonder if anyone has a bright solution. I have restored a lovely old Roberts R200 which after solving the old AF117 problem and a couple of caps now is just like new. -- well until I switch on my Low voltage down lighters- that is

I have this issue with several radio sets, so my question is is their some form of filter you can put in that solves this? Help gratefully received

regards and thanks
Old 5th Jan 2007, 4:31 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Roberts Radio Interferance

The problem is caused by the electronic "transformers" that supply 12V to the downlighters. These are cheaper, smaller and lighter than the traditional wound transformers but can generate RFI because they are switchmode power supplies operating around 30-50kHz. Some ideas:
  • Make sure the low voltage leads from the transformers to the lamps are as short as possible. Ideally no longer than a foot.
  • Find which transformer(s) are offending and change them. Either to a new electronic one or even a real wirewound one.
  • Get rid of the LV downlighters
  • Listen in the dark

If one electronic tranny is used to power multiple lights this usually means long-ish low voltage leads which is bad news.
Old 6th Jan 2007, 4:52 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Indeed yes. We've had similar discussions before and you'll find downlighters ( or rather the switchmode supplies they use ) are not the only modern items which can - and do - cause RFI .
Old 7th Jan 2007, 3:44 pm   #4
rico2_uk
Retired Dormant Member

Angry Re: Roberts Radio Interferance

So Sadly does this mean there is nothing I can do about it
Old 7th Jan 2007, 3:48 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

All you can really do with no expenditure to speak of is to limit the number of RFI-causing gadgets in your house and/or try to use your radio/s as far away from any such gadgets as possible. It's made worse if your ferrite-fitted radio needs to operate with the ferrite rod pointing towards any source of RFI ( which may come from a neighbouring building as well as from inside your own house.

Other members may suggest a few high-tech solutions. As Jeffrey said above, you could try replacing the electronic transformers with wirewound examples.

This is a widespread problem nowadays which will effect most AM radios; it's the fault of certain types of modern electronic equipment, not the radios - regardless of their age.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 7th Aug 2007 at 6:01 pm. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote.
Old 7th Jan 2007, 4:19 pm   #6
Geoff G4ICD
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2_uk View Post
So Sadly does this mean there is nothing I can do about it
As has been suggested, simply change the transformer for a "wound" version (about £4 from your electrical wholesaler), did the same here.......problem solved..........Geoff
Closed Thread