UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2017, 10:51 pm   #1
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default Unidentified Portable Radio

My friend a local dealer picked up 4 pallets yes I did say pallets of assorted valve radios, all look 1930's to 1940 from the style mainly wooden cabinets with bits missing, being rescued out of an old building that was being knocked down, apparently the building owners now agricultural suppliers started business as radio dealers. I pulled this one out the pile as it didn't have any woodworm like the others and looked complete. It has a rotator on the bottom like a roberts transistor radio. It has 5 valves one is fully silvered the others have an electrode at an angle at the top that you can see shining in the picture. It is Blue with a loudspeaker in the lid, the bandswitch is marked LW and SW no Medium wave? And the only clue is a sticker which reads portable 5 valve, not much help so come everyone who is going to be the first to identify it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170104_130248.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	135378  
Old 5th Jan 2017, 12:34 am   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Unidentified Portable Radio

The style is late 20s/early 30s. If the H fret is significant it could be Halcyon, otherwise no idea. Back then medium wave was referred to as short, as distinct from long unsurprisingly.
Old 5th Jan 2017, 7:22 pm   #3
nigelr2000
Heptode

Thanks Bill after looking at pictures of other Halcyon sets the H fret matches them especially this one http://www.vintage-radio.com/recent-...yportable.html the H in the centre is the same style.
Old 5th Jan 2017, 7:43 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

Same fret:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...8-a5750103c4cc

H shape was also used in at least one of the Henderson receivers...had a link but lost it!

Lawrence.
Old 5th Jan 2017, 8:05 pm   #5
winston_1
Hexode

I had a set similar to that when "I were a lad" almost 50 years ago. It initially worked but when it later failed I scrapped it (didn't know any better then). It had a 2V valve heater line up and I seem to remember I used a 3V battery (ugh) and a 90V battery to power it. The speaker in the lid was a moving iron type held by the one screw in the middle. It is fragile, don't try to remove the speaker. The sound reproduction was poor.

The SW marking on the band switch is actually MW. Maybe the term MW was not used then. I don't know.
Closed Thread