UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2016, 2:13 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Mullard MAS183 whistles

I am working on my Mullard MAS183 (similar in circuitry to the original Philips 206a, but with octal tubes). The oscillator is now working, but the stations are accompanied by instability (whistling) when tuned and is difficult to separate. The trimmers have been tampered with and following alignment procedures does not improve the situation. I can not see any broken coils in the tuner section. Anyone had any dealings with these models, please?
The I.F Transformers are sealed and 470kHZ gets through o.k. Maybe the I.F filter might be out of alignment in the front end, but that looks to be sealed.
Cheers
Mike
Old 28th Sep 2016, 3:16 pm   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Mullard MAS183 whistles

Usual problem is the valve metalisation on the ECH35 or EF39. Even if they look intact, the connection can fail which is a wire that extends a short distance out of the top of the base.
Old 28th Sep 2016, 5:15 pm   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Quick test, fix an earth lead to a cut open coke can and drop it over the valves one at a time, you will soon see which one it is.
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 6:24 pm   #4
lloydwells
Heptode

Weld through ( copper ) primer quite nifty for recoating valves
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 11:35 pm   #5
crackle
Rest in Peace

I have had this as well on different sets, if it is not a problem with valve screening as mentioned, check the decoupling capacitors.

Mike
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 2:25 pm   #6
telstar
Octode

Hi Mike All the wax capacitors have been replaced with modern yellow types. The ECH35 valve has been replaced by a C.V equivalent. The EF39 seems to have good contact with chassis, but I suppose I could use a 6K7 and see if this works. I hope to post a photograph of this radio (it is larger than the permissible 200 kb allowed on this site.
Cheers
Mike
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 3:40 pm   #7
Voxophone
Hexode

I just had this problem on a set in which I substituted a known good EF39 and performed an IF alignment. I was able to fix the problem by de-tuning the IF slightly - i.e. broadening/flattening the peak.
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 5:10 pm   #8
PJL
Dekatron

Does the metalisation of both the EF39 and ECH35 show continuity to pin 1?
Old 4th Oct 2016, 2:51 pm   #9
telstar
Octode

Hi. Yes there is good continuity from the metallisation of both EF39 & ECH35 to their respective pin 1 terminals. In this case the F.C is a better grey colour (CV1347)which seems to have survived better than the red colour.
I have managed to receive some weak stations (volume control at maximum), and that occurs when you put a finger on the top cap of the frequency changer then the whistling disappears. The front end must be working in order to do that task.
Unfortunately, I will have to re-string the dial cord assembly as it has come loose.
Old 4th Oct 2016, 4:12 pm   #10
PJL
Dekatron

Your finger is adding capacitance to earth and preventing oscillation. I would check capacitors particularly the screen grid decoupling and you might try adding a 0.1uF across the HT.
Old 5th Oct 2016, 2:07 pm   #11
telstar
Octode

Hi. All the wax capacitors have been replaced in this radio. These stations that are received are tuneable but weak.
Old 5th Oct 2016, 2:14 pm   #12
PJL
Dekatron

If it is IF instability then the AGC voltage will be very low. Try measuring it across the AGC filter capacitor, C6 in trader 478 for the 206A.
Old 5th Oct 2016, 4:58 pm   #13
telstar
Octode

Hi. I will look at the voltage at the a.g.c capacitor and find out the result. Also, I notice that when touching around the second I.F transformer, a buzz is heard in the loudspeaker.
Mike
Old 8th Oct 2016, 2:08 pm   #14
telstar
Octode

At long last I have traced the fault to the front end. There were two capacitors that had been incorrectly installed. When there were stations received before, they sounded like the effects single side band radio broadcasts produced.
It now receives m.w stations. I have the dreadful task of rewinding the cord drive.

Mike
Old 4th Jan 2017, 3:34 pm   #15
telstar
Octode

Hi. Actually the problem has reappeared, the whistling actually comes when tuning between stations. I might try adjusting the I.F Filter and see if it has any effects.
The drive cord works perfectly now as I have found that the cord used by builders is really useful on this kind of job.
Old 4th Jan 2017, 3:47 pm   #16
ms660
Dekatron

Noting the points in frequency terms between the whistling (beating) when tuning might give a clue.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread