UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2017, 6:55 am   #1
sant_ka
Diode

Default Noisy resistors - Nordmende Globetrotter 4/601

I wanted to know if anyone else has come across noisy resistors ?

I was restoring an early model Globetrotter (4/601). All the electrolytics on the audio board were completely dead due to which the set was motorboating badly.

So I had removed the audio board for the repairs, but when I turned it on after replacing the caps, I noticed a prominent hiss and crackle. This was not 50Hz hum, it was more like the crackling static that one hears on the MW band. The noise would go away completely whenever I grounded the audio section's input. Apart from this problem, the audio section was working correctly and the voltages everywhere looked correct.

Ok, so it must be the 1st Preamp transistor (AC163) that's about to give up the ghost. But replacing this did not solve the noise problem. After racking my brains for a day and trying out different substitutions I was left with just one suspect -> The bias resistors on the base of the 1st preamp transistor.

And Voila, replacing them solved the noise problem completely !! The original resistors were Carbon Composition types and although they had not drifted off value badly they were generating a lot of noise
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 8:43 am   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Noisy resistors - Nordmende Globetrotter 4/601

Yes it's a known problem, well done on repairing your radio.
Frank
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 9:43 am   #3
sant_ka
Diode

Default Re: Noisy resistors - Nordmende Globetrotter 4/601

Thanks Frank

BTW, there was another interesting problem on this radio. Every time I powered up the radio the RF section would work for a second and then die. It was happening on all bands. Turned out that biasing of the RF transistors is regulated by the V7 zener diode and it had gone badly off spec generating 4V instead of 1.54V. Replacing it with a Red LED solved the problem.
Closed Thread