UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2016, 7:11 pm   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Mid 1950s Australian TV receiver

The picture below is a screen shot from today's "The Doctor Blake Mysteries" on BBC1.

A little research on radiomuseum.org suggests it is a Radiola 201-T from 1956.

It is interesting (and pleasing) to see that the producers have gone to the trouble of sourcing a working set from the right period and providing it with a suitable signal.

I assume, because of the close ties between the UK and Australia in the 1950s, that the set uses a version of the 405 system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiola 201_T.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	133872  
Old 5th Dec 2016, 7:27 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Mid 1950s Australian TV receiver

No, Australia started with 625, as did other 50Hz countries without legacy standards postwar.

That screen looks a bit suspect to me. Mono CRTs tend to look very blue when filmed with digital cameras, and that one doesn't. It's possible to colour correct in post production, but the TV may have been fitted with a later solid state chassis and colour tube. This is standard practice for companies that do period prop hire.
Old 5th Dec 2016, 7:37 pm   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the info re 625 Paul.

I am convinced it was a genuine set with a slightly soft mono tube. No doubt the program is on the BBC iPlayer for those who may wish to make their own judgement.
Old 5th Dec 2016, 8:13 pm   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
No doubt the program is on the BBC iPlayer for those who may wish to make their own judgement.
Found it here, from 22:10 to 22:55.
Old 6th Dec 2016, 10:04 am   #5
Brigham
Octode

That MUST be a version of my favourite PYE receiver. What do we know about it?
Old 6th Dec 2016, 10:35 am   #6
ukcol
Rest in Peace

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/amalgam...ola_201_t.html
Old 6th Dec 2016, 10:52 am   #7
Nicklyons2
Octode

In 1956 it must have been one of the first sets available in Australia because that was the year TV started there (on System B). I'm fairly convinced, in fact I'd have 'half a crown' on it, that the picture is added in post production. Modern editing software can be shown a mask shape and it can follow that shape even when the image is zooming and panning. Adding in 'post' also helps in that the location lighting can be the optimum for the scene rather than to optimise a crt's visibility and further, to prevent the curvature of the crt from showing all the location lighting in reflection.
Old 6th Dec 2016, 12:07 pm   #8
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklyons2 View Post
I'm fairly convinced, in fact I'd have 'half a crown' on it, that the picture is added in post production.
Well it had me fooled.
Old 6th Dec 2016, 12:19 pm   #9
paulsherwin

It can be very convincing if done well.
Old 7th Dec 2016, 12:42 pm   #10
ENGLISH VICTOR
Hexode

The AWA Radiola looks original to me. The CRT used in those sets had quite a warm colour temperature and photographs just like the one shown unlike most European and British tubes that look decidedly blue. The Australian tubes for that set used an RCA phosphor, some tubes were actually made in the U.S. but most later tubes were made in Sydney but all used the same colour rendering phosphor. The set itself was an Australian copy of an RCA chassis with a few minor changes to suit the 625 line system and the 50Hz 240V mains. A very reliable set. For my part I prefer the blue looking tubes.
Victor.
Closed Thread