UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2019, 1:29 pm   #1
William
Triode

Default New Speaker for Realistic DX-160

Hi all, I've recently refurbished a Realistic DX-160 and have noticed the speaker sounds terrible. The receiver has been recapped and alignment done which I thought may have had something to to with the poor sound. However this was not the case.

I decided to look closer at the speaker and removed it from the SP-150 housing and noticed the speaker cone and voice coil is pretty much jammed in the magnetic. I have tried the receiver on another 8 ohm speaker and it sounds good, however I cannot seem to source a suitable replacement. I've looked on eBay and Amazon.

Any suggestions would be greatful and many thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	182098  
Old 29th Apr 2019, 1:57 pm   #2
Paul JD
Pentode

Default Re: New Speaker for Realistic DX-160

Not exactly the same dimensions as your drawing but looks fairly close and could probably be made to fit?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oval-Full...0AAOSwHUhaMOoT
Old 29th Apr 2019, 3:20 pm   #3
William
Triode

Hi Paul and thank you for the link you provided. I think it's definitely worth a try, seeing as it's not much money. I possibly can make it fit with drilling some new screw mounting holes on the inside housing.

It's by far the closest match for a replacement I've seen that's available.

Old 29th Apr 2019, 3:43 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

You might find that an elliptical Altai speaker will fit. One like this for example, the dimensions of which are quite close to the one that you have:

Altai General Purpose Elliptical Speaker 6W 8 Ohm, finished in black.
Depth (mm) 77
Height (mm) 35
Width (mm) 125

£5.99 + £9.99 post

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Black-6-W-G...hn=ps&thm=1000

If that doesn't quite fit the bill, search for 'elliptical general purpose 8 Ohm speaker'. I think your only other option would be a 75mm 8 Ohm circular speaker mounted on a plate similar in size to your existing speaker, with the plate drilled to match the mounting holes.

Hope that might help a bit.

Good luck in your quest William, and welcome to the forum.
Old 29th Apr 2019, 3:45 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Ooops, posted that before I saw Paul's post!

His suggestion looks a better bet, price wise.
Old 29th Apr 2019, 8:39 pm   #6
William
Triode

Hi David and thank you for the link you provided too. I've looked at both and really not sure which one to choose. I will just go with both to be on the safe side. The receiver really was a bargain price and in near mint condition, so the cost of both speakers it's too much.

Thank you both

73 DE William 2E0KKQ
Old 29th Apr 2019, 10:46 pm   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

If you've searched the internet for info on the 160, you'll find that there were actually two models with that designation, the difference being the IC used in the audio amplifier. There are comments out there about one model having poor quality audio and recommendations for changing some of the component values around the IC.

Although your speaker may well have problems, be aware of the other issue.

B
Old 29th Apr 2019, 10:58 pm   #8
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Can it be repaired? Try taking the centre dust cover off and blowing out the gap.
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:47 pm   #9
William
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
If you've searched the internet for info on the 160, you'll find that there were actually two models with that designation, the difference being the IC used in the audio amplifier. There are comments out there about one model having poor quality audio and recommendations for changing some of the component values around the IC.

Although your speaker may well have problems, be aware of the other issue.

B
Hi Bazz4CQJ I'll check that out. I may have the model that has the poor audio. The serial number of mine is 422635 which I believe to be the second revision of the reciever. The audio definitely was better on a different speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
Can it be repaired? Try taking the centre dust cover off and blowing out the gap.
Hi Boater Sam. I've taken your advice and removed the dust cover and can see that the inner magnet for the voice coil is oFf centre and touching the coil former. I placed the speaker on my bench and using a 1cm bolster and small hammer I managed to lightly tap it back away from the cardboard former. Now the speaker cone and coil can move freely again. However I've purchased the replacements from the links provided above. Fingers crossed they will fit.

Closed Thread