UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Mar 2019, 3:43 pm   #1
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Sony TV-940UWE - any use these days?

Hi all,

I'm a bit out of comfort zone here as I normally lurk on the military and ham radio forum but hopefully someone here will be able to advise me.

My wife and I have been clearing the home of a deceased relative and came across a dusty but apparently working Sony TV-940UWE B/W portable TV. The set was bought (we think) in Libya back in the 70s. I can recall playing with it in the 80s when I had it hooked up to a 50MHz 5 element Yagi and got some clear reception from Scandinavia. Somewhere there may be a full technical manual, we may unearth it as we work through the stuff. There's a link to the spec here:-

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_t...e_tv940uw.html

Is this TV of any use these days or have all the stations gone digital? It does seem to cover quite a few standards but maybe they are also kaput?

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers

Roger
Old 30th Mar 2019, 5:24 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony TV-940UWE - any use these days?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=155311

Looks like the answer was posted while you were still typing the question
Old 30th Mar 2019, 10:18 pm   #3
kan_turk
Hexode

This set is dual standard 525/625 line covering systems used in western Europe and North America & not Eastern Europe including Russia, Ukraine etc

Is it any use? - not as a normal domestic TV but could be of interest to a collector/enthusiast as it is one of a family of similar small-screen portable TVs designed for use in different territories and could fill a gap in someone's collection.
Old 30th Mar 2019, 11:43 pm   #4
winston_1
Hexode

I would be interested in it if you could courier it safely to London.

PM sent.
Old 31st Mar 2019, 7:26 am   #5
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Thanks to all,

It would seem that it would be more suitable to DX-TV use, if people still do that?

I will continue to search for the manual this coming week, I have found what looks like another loop aerial and some advertising material.

No P/M received here, winston1.

Cheers

Roger
Closed Thread