UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2007, 12:25 pm   #1
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Bush DAC10 mains hum

Hi
I have a Bush DAC10 which had been awaiting attention for a few years,
last week its time came, I reformed the smoother, replaced the wax caps replaced the dial lamps and shunt resistor and the set works well, however after it has run for a while it develops a low level hum, this can only be heard at low volume but it is annoying, I have tried a known good UL41, checked the spare pin in the valveholder is not connected to anything and tried splashing the smoothing with another to no avail.

What have I missed? or do some sets hum more than others?
I had a DAC 90a with similar problems but after disconnecting the unused pin and trying a few UL41s it is silent even on min volume.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Last edited by Darren-UK; 13th Aug 2007 at 10:48 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Old 15th Feb 2007, 12:37 pm   #2
G0PKH - Pete
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bush DAC10 mains hum

It could be possible that another valve has a very slight heater cathode leak. Might be worth swapping them one by one to prove.

Had this on a 90a once.

Pete
Old 15th Feb 2007, 9:52 pm   #3
slidertogrid
Octode

Thanks Pete for your reply, I had already tried a rectifier, I have now tried a complete set of valves from a known good DAC90a, no better, I then gave all the valveholders a good clean and scraped the bottom of the valves between
the pins, this has made a little improvement I think, but it still hums a little when warm,
My next line of thought is to try running the valve heaters on DC I am sure Iv seen a thread on this some time back?
Anyone got any ideas on how I could do this?
Thanks, Rich.
Old 16th Feb 2007, 11:52 am   #4
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Try replacing the smoothing caps, it could be that they are failing when hot?

Biggles.
Old 16th Feb 2007, 12:45 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Try replacing the smoothing caps, it could be that they are failing when hot?
My thinking exactly. I've never been a big fan of reforming knackered old smoothing caps. You could connect two new caps temporarily and see if it sorts the problem out.

Paul
Old 16th Feb 2007, 1:34 pm   #6
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Whoops, I've just re-read your original post and it says you've already tried subbing the smoothers.

Biggles.
Old 16th Feb 2007, 3:25 pm   #7
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Just a stab in the dark but is the screen feed resistor still within spec?

Cheers
Lee
Old 16th Feb 2007, 5:37 pm   #8
Tim
Dekatron

Locating the source of hum on this set is complicated by the fact it uses half wave rectification,meaning Hum deriving from the HT or heaters/AC supply will both be at 50 Hz. Shorting the control of the UL 41, and UBC41(short out the volume control) in turn may give you a clue. Pick up is most likely to occur in the AF triode/volume control section.
Don't overlook the control itself.
And the mains suppression capacitor.
Old 16th Feb 2007, 7:22 pm   #9
yestertech
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Locating the source of hum on this set is complicated by the fact it uses half wave rectification,meaning Hum deriving from the HT or heaters/AC supply will both be at 50 Hz. Shorting the control of the UL 41, and UBC41(short out the volume control) in turn may give you a clue. Pick up is most likely to occur in the AF triode/volume control section.
Don't overlook the control itself.
And the mains suppression capacitor.
I agree with Tim here - it's important to note whether the hum is induced into the UBC41 stage or the UL41 itself.
When the fault manifests itself, what happens when you earth :
1. The UL41 control grid ?
2.The UBC41 control grid ?

Being as it's temperature sensitive , logically it should be down to the hottest items ie the valves. Also being temp. sens. many of the tricks about screening and routing of cables will not apply
If valves from a known good set exhibit EXACTLY the same symptoms, then points 1 and 2 above are especially important to determine which components to suspect next.
It could be worth subbing the UL41 valveholder if it looks like neither 1. or 2. above affect the problem ?

Andy

PS Are this set and the known good one fed from the same power arrangements ?
Old 16th Feb 2007, 9:29 pm   #10
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi ,
Thanks everyone for your advice, I tried disconnecting the original smoothing cap and lashing in two replacements, no different, next I metered the grid resistor and it read a bit high, replacing it made a slight difference, I then soldered the screened lead to the body of the volume control as well as its end tag, success ... no hum! its now been on for 2 hours or more and its as humless as can be.

Thanks again everyone for your help! sometimes you get stuck and nothing works and a few pointers in the right direction is all thats needed!
Rich.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 13th Aug 2007 at 10:46 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons and somewhat rude word removed.
Closed Thread