UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2018, 9:50 pm   #1
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Transistor voltage measurements in absence of circuit diagram

In the absence of a circuit diagram, is it possible to gather any useful information from voltage measurements as to whether a particular transistor is not working ? e.g.here are the RF transistor voltage measurements using a 5.8V supply for a radio I've been trying to fix for ages: Transistor 1: vBE 0.04V, vCE 2.44V; Transistor 2: vBE 0.1V, vCE 4.72V; Transistor 3: vBE 0.24V, vCE 4.45V; Transistor 4: vBE 0.25V, vCE 4.04V.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 10:17 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Transistor voltage measurements in absence of circuit diagram

What make and model radio, someone may have a similar circuit, are they germanium or silicon transistors and what function does each transistor perform, I presume they are all not RF transisors?
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 10:33 pm   #3
Jolly 7
Octode

It's a Loewe Opta Dolly 8 export for which the exact diagram is unavailable even from the Loewe Opta museum website. There are somewhat similar radio circuits but they use different transistors and have different wavebands. Yes they are all RF transistors in order from one to four before the AF circuit starts, which is functioning normally.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 10:57 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

This is guess work, the set appears to be made circa 1960 so the transistors will be germanium.
Tr3 and 4 are probably IF transistors, that is if you have numbered them Tr1 aerial circuits and Tr4 last one before the audio. Tr3 and 4 voltages Look ok.
Tr1 and 2 are a bit more difficult, they could be osc and mixer or RF amp any mixer/osc, it’s conceivable that Tr1 is mixer osc and Tr2 is another IF amp, I find it more difficult to advise on those voltages without knowing their role.

I would ignore the voltages for now and inject an IF signal into Tr3 and 4 and confirm the IF stages are working. It could be as simple as the dectector diode being faulty.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 5:58 pm   #5
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Either Q1 or Q2 will be the oscillator and maybe have strange voltages. The other should have Vbe 0.24V for a germanium transistor.
I assume that the collector is negative.
What are the transistor types? Have you got some AF117s or similar?

You can test the oscillator by listening for it on another radio.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 6:25 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Be aware that probing an oscillator-transistor (or self-oscillating mixer) may introduce sufficient extra capacitive loading because of the test-leads that the transistor may stop oscillating - at which point you're no longer measuring anything sensible.

[The solution to this is to use a very-high-resistance meter, and use a high-value resistor as the 'probe' - a typical modern DVM will have an input-resistance of a Megohm or more, so you can use a resistor of, say, 100K as your probe with little likelihood of stalling the oscillator]
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 7:13 pm   #7
GeoffK
Heptode

Have you tested the detector diode?
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 9:21 pm   #8
Jolly 7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffK View Post
Have you tested the detector diode?
Yes the detector diode is a OA91 which is ok. A Schottky diode works fine as a replacement too. All the IF stages are working properly so I am concentrating on the oscillator section with a newly fitted transistor, an AF178. This replaces an ASZ20, originally an O170. There are myriads of very fine wires going through the oscillator coils connected to the bandchange switches and one seems to be connected to AF178, which is now TR1. TR2 is also an AF178, TR3 and TR4 are both GT322Bs, replacing the original OC169s. Maybe the oscillator transistor receives its power through an oscillator coil ?
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 9:37 pm   #9
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Can you confirm the osc is stopped, has stated in earlier post it should audible on another radio.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 9:55 pm   #10
Jolly 7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Can you confirm the osc is stopped, has stated in earlier post it should audible on another radio.
Excuse my ignorance. The radio produces a whistle on a nearby radio on MW when I turn the shaft of the tuning capacitor. e.g. I was able to blank out a station on 1296 kHz and hear a whistle. Is this evidence enough that the oscillator is working? The reason why I thought of investigating the oscillator transistor is because of the low vBE.

I am attaching a photo of the oscillator coils connected to the bandchange switches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180222_202003.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	158591  
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 9:56 pm   #11
Hartley118
Nonode

I've found when groping in the dark without a circuit diagram, it's worth using the 'diode test' function of a DMM (with the set switched off) in order to check that every transistor has two working junctions. It requires some experimenting with the probes if the pin-outs are uncertain, but a silicon junction will typically read 0.5 to 0.7V forward drop and a germanium junction 0.2 to 0.3V.

If a transistor exhibits two working junctions, it's likely to be OK. Certainly a zero reading indicates a likely internal short unless of course there's a coil connected across the junction.

Martin
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 10:06 pm   #12
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The osc is usually the Intermediate Frequency higher than the station the radio is tuned to. Example, faulty radio tuned to 1Mhz (300m) with an IF of 470Khz you should hear a signal at 1.47Mhz on the test radio.
If that’s the sort of result you get I would say the osc is working. If there is no result I would say the osc as stopped, if say the signal is heard not on or near the frequency you expect, it could mean the osc is off adjustment but working.