UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2018, 9:48 am   #21
Tractionist
Heptode

Default Re: Help wanted with noisy mains transformer

It's almost certainly flux moving the laminations [the windings/former are doubtless too heavy to produce the frequencies you describe - but applying pressure to these should confirm this either way]. Boater Sam's solution seems to be the most elegant and it should stabilise both the laminations and the windings/former too. Failing that mechanically isolate it from the chassis via a thin sheet of soft cardboard or rubber. Don't over-tighten the mounting bolts upon re-assembly use 'Loctite' instead on the threads, but do electrically strap these bolts to the chassis via pigs tails or whatever.
Old 1st Mar 2018, 10:08 am   #22
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Help wanted with noisy mains transformer

The fact that the transformer stays cool suggests that it's not running close to its limits. But if the flux in the core was getting close to saturation then a bit of DC offset on your mains supply (typically caused by a large asymmetric load nearby) could push it over the edge and into humming/buzzing. This can be a particular problem with toroidal trannies.

There are various circuits for DC blockers on the internet and I keep one handy on the bench. If I get a piece of kit with a noisy transformer then I start by giving the blocker a quick try. My local DC offset tends to be worse in the evenings. I don't know the reason for this but I do believe that that's when the nearby supermarket switches most of its bakery ovens on.

Cheers,

GJ