UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2016, 10:16 am   #61
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Default Re: Vidor CN430 My Lady Anne

Thanks all for your help. My plan from here is to change the V3 screen grid decoupling cap (C18) then see how the set performs for a while whilst I order replacements for R10 and R11. No doubt I will be back shortly with an update.
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 9:49 am   #62
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Hi all,

I have a bit of an update on my progress with this set. I checked R11 with a Robin meter that I borrowed (having a father who is a retired spark is great from a tools point of view!), it measured 2.85MΩ (it should be 2.7MΩ) hence like R10 it is high. Therefore the plan is to change R10, R11 and C18.

As I have worked with the set I have noticed that the volume response was somewhat variable. With the volume knob set to maximum it was sometimes loud but on other occasions less so. Also it appeared to affect MW only, but I could be wrong on that point.

I waggled the valves and traced the fault to a connection problem with V3. Then I noticed that the ground connection between the metal valve screen and the volume pot was poor, so I re-soldered both that and the connection on to the valve screen itself. That improved and stabilised the volume, which is now very loud.

I also noticed a connection issue with one of the pins in the valve holder, one which didn’t respond to cleaning. I manipulated the tag a little and it seems to be improved for now.

However, here is the odd thing: The lid closure buzzer was working when the volume was low (i.e: with the connection issues present), but it is now not working with the volume high. If I move the valve so that the connection issue comes back and the volume goes low, the buzzer works again.

Any ideas please?

Regards,

Gary

Last edited by gary_crutchley; 3rd Mar 2016 at 9:51 am. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 9:52 am   #63
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Gary,

2.85 Megohms is well within the tolerance for a 2.7 Megohm resistor - leave it alone!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 9:55 am   #64
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Could the buzzer still be working, but not audible above the music, etc.? You do say the volume is now very loud!
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 10:24 am   #65
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
2.85 Megohms is well within the tolerance for a 2.7 Megohm resistor - leave it alone!
Okay will do!
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 10:26 am   #66
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
Could the buzzer still be working, but not audible above the music, etc.? You do say the volume is now very loud!
I don't think so as the buzzer is very, very loud when it operates. Also it seems to stop/disconnect the audio.
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 10:33 am   #67
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

The lid closing shuts the radio off by way of turning the output valve into an oscillator by positive feedback. Maybe with the volume high, the pot is reducing the feedback signal on the grid, or it is driving the valve to cut off.
Check the voltage on the cathode of the output valve and make sure it is not too high in that condition, not good for the valve to over dissipate.
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 10:35 am   #68
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Valveholder pins on battery sets are a common cause of intermittent faults, a particular nuisance in portable sets that get moved around. If you're lucky, with care you may be able to extract the single faulty connection and replace it with one taken from an identical type of sacrificial valveholder, but otherwise you will have to replace the complete valveholder. It's not as difficult as it sounds, just time-consuming. I've had to do it a couple of times.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 3rd Mar 2016 at 10:36 am. Reason: Spelling
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 11:34 am   #69
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
The lid closing shuts the radio off by way of turning the output valve into an oscillator by positive feedback. Maybe with the volume high, the pot is reducing the feedback signal on the grid, or it is driving the valve to cut off.
Check the voltage on the cathode of the output valve and make sure it is not too high in that condition, not good for the valve to over dissipate.
Thanks Sam, I will do that and report back. Actually I was curious more than anything, I'm not greatly bothered that it doesn't buzz. I don't intend to shut the lid with the power still applied.
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 11:41 am   #70
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Valveholder pins on battery sets are a common cause of intermittent faults, a particular nuisance in portable sets that get moved around. If you're lucky, with care you may be able to extract the single faulty connection and replace it with one taken from an identical type of sacrificial valveholder, but otherwise you will have to replace the complete valveholder. It's not as difficult as it sounds, just time-consuming. I've had to do it a couple of times.
Thanks Phil. I think you mentioned that before when we were talking about cleaning the valve holders. It's working for now so there is no immediate need for a change and if I fiddle with it I probably will break it. I will see how it goes, once I have changed R10 and C18 I plan to run the set for a while to see how it performs before contemplating anything else.

I am currently trying to determine if I can do anything about the yellowed plastic covering on the outside of the case. It's not responding at the moment.
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 12:12 pm   #71
Chindit
Tetrode

I wonder if a gentle application of T-cut would help? It is probably nicotine based staining and it may well come off with a suitable mild abrasive such as the above.
I've found it will even work on the silver/grey-painted areas of a Philips N4506 tape deck - just a gentle rub and and yellow/ brown deposits just melt away!
Regarding B7G valve holder pins; I've had numerous problems over the years with bad or non-existant contacts in my battery sets and now they are one of the very first things I look at. As mentioned, it is easy just to unsolder any particularly bad or broken pins, straighten them out and push them through from underneath. You need to clean the tags up well though as they are a tight fit. Extract the new ones from an unused valve holder, feed them in and lightly bend them to keep the in place. Resolder and Bob's your Uncle!
Colin.
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 12:40 pm   #72
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the advice. I think I have some T-Cut somewhere, I can try it on the base is the set has the same material covering there and it is rather grubby.

It sounds as though the valve holders can be a bit of an issue.

Regards,

Gary
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 12:45 pm   #73
KeithsTV
Nonode

The varying volume could be due to a noisy volume control. A squirt of Servisol should make that better.

In these sets there are often several unused pins on the valveholders, which can be used to replaced the faulty ones. The problem comes if there are more faulty pins than replacements which happened to me last year. Fortunately I had a scrap set with similar pins.

As has been said R11 is well within tolerance. In fact I'm surprised that after all this time it is actually still in tolerance as these high value resistors tend to go high. I'd be more concerned about the decoupling caps as these will almost certainly be leaky and need replacing.

Keith
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 2:16 pm   #74
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Thanks very much Keith, that's a great idea. I will look for a spare pin on that holder, I think pin 2 should be free.

I was a little surprised too. When I connected the meter across it the initial reading was below 2.0MΩ, but it rose rapidly, slowing down to almost nothing at 2.85MΩ. I presume the resistor was warming up slightly, and it's resistance was increasing as it did so. I had the meter connected for a few minutes before settling on the final reading.
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 2:21 pm   #75
julie_m
Dekatron

Is there a capacitor shunting it? That would explain it starting at short and increasing, as the capacitor charged.
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 2:40 pm   #76
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Yes I think so. It's R11 in the diagram, which I think is shunted by C18.

Thanks Julie.
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 7:33 pm   #77
KeithsTV
Nonode

It will be the main electrolytics shunting R11 with a leakage path through C18 suggesting that C18 needs to be changed.

Keith
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 11:20 pm   #78
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Thanks for that Keith, we plan to change C18 in any case. Many thanks for your help.

I've had a go at cleaning the case this evening, it cleaned up well although the yellowing of the white/cream covering hasn't gone away. Nothing would touch it, detergent, T-Cut, bleach nor white spirit. I don't think it's nicotine/tar, it must be ageing of the plastic material.

Gary

Last edited by gary_crutchley; 3rd Mar 2016 at 11:23 pm. Reason: Information added
Old 4th Mar 2016, 9:37 am   #79
Chindit
Tetrode

Hello, I've just twigged what you meant by yellowing plastic covering. I was thinking you meant the moulded plastic parts that form the speaker grill, but of course you mean the cloth-like covering on the wooden case.
In this case, may I revise my advise slightly. Start with aerosol car upholstery cleaning foam and scrub it in a circular motion with a stiff tooth brush or nail brush. Then wipe away the residual foam and lifted muck with a damp floor cloth or similar. Pat dry with a towel and then leave to dry throughly. Any areas along the seams that are lifting can be glued back with evostik or similar.
Hope this helps and sorry for the confusion.
Colin.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 9:45 am   #80
vidjoman
Dekatron

I have a Lady Anne and part of the covering is a deep cream which looks like it's nicotine stained. As it came form an aunt that never allowed anyone to smoke in her house and kept the radio covered when not in use I can say it's the original colour. They probably did other colour combinations though.
Closed Thread